Happy Birthday

June 14, 2021

I woke up to my dad banging a pot and a wooden spoon together as he walked into my room.

"Wake up birthday girl! We made a special breakfast for you!" He said still banging the pot and spoon together.

"What time is it?" I asked stretching my arms.

"7:45"

I shot up out of bed and ran into the bathroom to get ready. Jake would be here soon and I didn't want to look like crap for the first time seeing him in weeks. Back in Texas, we would hang out every day. It was weird not being with him, but I had the sandlot boys to keep me distracted so it was okay.

I put on mascara and a little bit of lip gloss. Instead of straightening my hair, I curled it. It doesn't take me very long to get ready because I've been doing my hair and makeup for basically my whole life.

It took me 20 minutes to curl my hair and spray it with a ton of hair spray because my hair wasn't very thick.

I put on a blue romper with white and yellow sunflowers and spandex on underneath just to be safe. I put the necklace that Jake gave me in 7th grade on then went to brush my teeth.

I slipped on my white vans then grabbed my phone and went downstairs to eat breakfast

As soon as my dad saw me he choked on his coffee and said "Nope. Go change."

Gran slapped him on the head with newspaper and said "Oh shut it." Then walked over to me and put both hands on my shoulders. "You look beautiful darling." She kissed me on my forehead and walked back to the kitchen.

"Thanks Gran." I said smiling.

As I walked towards the table I heard a car door shut outside. I ran to the window and saw Jake walking up to the door. Before he could get halfway up the sidewalk, I ran out the door and threw myself at him, engulfing him in a big hug. He picked me up and spun me around then sat me down. Gran took a picture of us on my Polaroid at the perfect time.

"Wow. You look-"

"Amazing? I know." I said with a smile.

"Actually I was going to say beautiful, but amazing works too." He said pulling me in to hug me again.

The car drove off towards the hotel which confused me because I thought his parents would be coming to eat breakfast with us.

"Are your parents not coming with us?" I said confusedly.

"No, they've been so caught up in working lately, so they're taking this as a vacation opportunity." He laughed.

I know he couldn't have changed much since I've only been gone for a couple of weeks, but he looked exactly like I remembered. He was much taller than me. His hair was brown and his eyes were a beautiful shade of hazel. He had on a black sweatshirt and grey sweatpants. He even smelt the same, like the cologne I got him for our first anniversary.