One more date

June 25, 2021

"What are you still doing here?" I said stepping out of the house and closing the door.

I wasn't angry, I was more confused at the moment.

"I came back for you." He said with puppy dog eyes. "You weren't answering my calls or texts."

"Because I blocked you." I rolled my eyes.

"Then unblock me." He said as if there wasn't a problem with that.

"Why are you even here Jake?"

He hesitated, then ignored the question.

"I visited the bakery, but you weren't there. Some other guy that was working there jumped me after your Gran told him who I was." He pointed to his eye as dramatically as possible.

Oh my God. Phillips beat Jake up. The thought of him caring about me gave me butterflies.

I smiled. "So you met Phillips?"

His face turned even redder than it already was.

"Is he your friend?" He said crossing his arms.

"Why does that matter?" I said shrugging my shoulders, "we're not together anymore. You can't tell me who I can and can't hang out with."

His eyes went wide. I'm guessing he still wasn't used to me finally yelling back at him after all these years.

"I wanna make things right with you." He said sincerely.

I couldn't tell if he was actually being genuine or not anymore. I squinted my eyes at him and focused on his body language to see if he did anything that would mean he was lying, but he didn't. He just stood there and stared at me with eyes full of sorrow.

"Just go on one last date with me." He said, "if you don't end up liking it then I'll leave you alone. I promise."

I took a deep breath in, then slowly exhaled.

"Fine," I said. "But after the date, you leave me the fuck alone. Got it?"

"Yes." He replied, "If you don't like the date, I'll leave you alone."

"Good." I turned around and walked inside closing the door behind me.

My dad's head shot up from his phone and over to me.

"You're going on a date with him?" He said in disbelief.

"Were you seriously watching us? I hate technology." I said walking up the stairs.

Dad stood up and ran after me. Before I could close the door he stopped it by putting his hand between it and the doorway.

"Nope." He said pushing the door open, "I change my mind... You're still grounded."

"Dad." I said frustrated, "if I go on one more date with him he'll leave me alone."

"Fine. But if he hurts you-"

"He won't." I said sitting down on the foot of my bed, "you raised a badass remember? Nose, throat, balls."

He sighed then gave a soft smile. "That's my girl."

He turned and walked out of the room.

After purposely taking an hour to get ready so Jake would stand outside, suffering in the heat, I was ready. I didn't try to look good because I knew this wouldn't last long at all. I was prepared to make this the worst date ever.

My hair was straightened, I had mascara on but no other makeup, and I had on ripped jeans and a black champion t-shirt on. I tied my running shoes before slipping pepper spray in one back pocket, and my phone in the other.