044. NATE THE DEMIGOD ADOPTER

Start from the beginning

Blackjack, Beauty and their friends flew off, leaving Thalia, Aurora, Percy, and Annabeth alone.

For a minute they stood there regarding the palace, the way they'd stood together in front of Westover Hall, what seemed like a million years ago. And then, side by side, they walked into the throne room.

Twelve enormous thrones made a U around a central hearth, just like the placement of the cabins at camp. The ceiling above glittered with constellations—even the newest one, Zoe the Huntress, making her way across the heavens with her bow drawn.

All of the seats were occupied. Each god and goddess was about fifteen feet tall. Aurora's eyes flickered between everyone until they landed on Nathaniel who stood with his arms crossed.

"Welcome, heroes," Artemis said.

"Mooo!"

Aurora furrowed her eyebrows at the creature in a sphere of water that was hovering in the center of the room, next to the hearth fire. It was swimming happily around, swishing his serpent tail and poking his head out the sides and bottom of the sphere. It seemed to be enjoying the novelty of swimming in a magic bubble.

Aurora's eyes filled with delight as she saw Grover kneeling at Zeus's throne, as if he'd just been giving a report, but when he saw them, he cried, "You made it!"

He started to run toward them, then remembered he was turning his back on Zeus, and looked for permission.

"Go on," Zeus said. But he wasn't really paying attention to Grover. The lord of the sky was staring intently at Thalia. Grover trotted over. None of the gods spoke. Every clop of Grover's hooves echoed on the marble floor. The creature splashed in his bubble of water.

The hearth fire crackled.

Aurora looked at her mother who looked as breathtaking as she had previously seen her in dreams. Her features were hard to pin point but the prominent thing she saw were the beautiful raven black hair that was highlighted to perfection and the gold eyes that twinkled when she locked eyes with her. Everything else was hard to determine due to the fact that it kept changing.

Aphrodite grinned at her daughter and laced her hands together trying to get a reaction from her, but Aurora only frowned. The thought of her sister and how resentful she grew specifically towards their mother was something Aurora could never forget, it'd be etched deep into her heart until Elysium was her end.

Grover gave Aurora, Annabeth, and Thalia big hugs. He grasped Percy's arms. "Percy, Bessie and I made it! But you have to convince them! They can't do it!"

"Do what?" Percy asked as he exchanged looks with Aurora.

Aurora turned to Nate, "Nate?"

The man only gestured in front of him towards the gods and goddesses eyeing them.

"Heroes," Artemis called.

The goddess slid down from her throne and turned to human size, a young auburn haired girl, perfectly at ease in the midst of the giant Olympians. She walked toward the group, her silver robes shimmering. There was no emotion in her face. She seemed to walk in a column of moonlight.

"The Council has been informed of your deeds," Artemis told them. "They know that Mount Othrys is rising in the West. They know of Atlas's attempt for freedom, and the gathering armies of Kronos. We have voted to act."