🦢 | anything to make them happy

kang haneul

it was already evening, the same day as soobin's play and i was washing our dishes when i hear the door open. i turned around and saw our parents walked through the hallway, their eyes meeting mine.

my parents came home today. well, technically they don't live here but this is their house and they're living overseas for their job.

the three of us were seated in the living room, and soobin was already dead asleep upstairs, inside his room.

and my parents were the first to break the deafening silence between the three of us. "are you okay with studying in germany, haneul?"

i was entirely confused, but nodded anyway.

"why are you asking?" i fiddled with my fingers, and looked at them.

"you're grandparents suggested that you study there, to be closer to us, i guess." my father says, seeing the sadness in my face.

"it's okay if you want to stay here though," my mom smiled at me, and i smiled back, nodding.

"and also, i think it's time for us to retire..." my mom adds and i froze.

"are y-you asking me to take over the company?" i stammered out, not wanting to believe what i heard.

they both nod, their eyes looking for hope that i would agree. well who wouldn't? they're already in their forties going fifties.

"i'll think about it." i muttered, loud enough for both of them to hear.

they both stood up and went to hug me, smiles on our faces. its been so long since we had a hug like this.

i bid them goodbye as they only stopped by to tell me about my grandparents suggestion, i couldn't blame them though, they're both busy people.

i laid down on my bed, thinking about my parents face when i said i'll think about it.

but what about soobin? will he come to germany too? what about the friends he made? it might scare him, since germany is a foreign country, he'd have a hard time to communicate with others his age.

and me? i think i'm being too selfish if i didn't go, but who'll take care of soobin if he doesn't go with me?

well, anything to make my parents happy, i guess.