chapter 74

LASTING LOVER

LASTING LOVER

𝐍 𝐎 𝐕 𝐄 𝐌 𝐁 𝐄 𝐑 𝟐 𝟖 𝐓 𝐇

Ginny walked up to the Astronomy tower where I sat with my legs dangling over the ledge. The Black Lake appears still, but quietly flows under the thinnest of ice. I watched the snow. Like a feather floating down from the sky, ever so gently. The clouds sending a kiss to the ground; building a blanket on top of the trees and carpeting the land in a sheet of effervescent white.

"You didn't find any place warmer to sit?" Wrapped in a wool coat and scarf, she asked softly as she came to sit beside me. Her legs dangled as mine did.

I shrugged. "I don't mind the cold. It's not too bad."

I could feel her gaze on the side of my face. "You okay?"

"I am."

"How are you... feeling?"

She asked me that question everyday but in a way that held more significance than appearing.

I turned my head to look at her. Our breaths visibly fogged the air between us. "I feel like... I can live without him-but I don't want to. He is the most beautiful thing I keep inside my heart and a life without him would be nowhere near as lovely."

A heartening smile grew on Ginny's face. "So, what are you doing up here? Go get him." She nudged my shoulder softly.

I cracked a doleful smile, turning to look at the placid snowfall again. "It would be selfish to walk back into his life. To leave the way I did and stroll back in when the time is right for me." I shrugged weakly. "If he's found a repose in this time without me, who am I to intrude his newfound routine? Healed as I may be, I'm nowhere near ideal."

Ginny's face feel before she stared at me, frowning. She shook her head at a loss, disbelieved. "What? Elysia, you can't think that. The boy is-enamoured! Not giving him the option to choose whether or not he wants you back in his life is the most cruel, unfair thing you can do. You told him you'll come back if he'll have you."

Forlorn, I looked at Ginny again. I felt torn. "What would I even say to him, Ginny? Hey, Draco. Thanks for waiting around, I'm all wholly and dandy now-or so I think because I thought it once before too and I was wrong. Oops. My bad. Come give me your heart again without knowing whether or not I'll drain all the fucking blood from it once more."

Ginny tossed me a flat look. "Are you serious?"

"No, that's my Godfather. I'm Elysia."

Ginny punched my arm, hard, causing me to wince. The girl has knuckles made from steel. "Stop hiding. Stop being afraid. Stop letting fear control you. Stop letting it keep you from happiness."