chapter 39

tw: panic attacks & sexual content

tw: panic attacks & sexual  content

INWARD DROWNING

Relax.

You're not there. You are here.

Be here. Be all here.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

Just be here.

I clenched and unclenched my spasming hands. My chest tightened until I felt like I was going to explode. The noises of the swarm of students in the hallway drowned away until I could hear were my thunderous thoughts-so loud and all over the place, overlapping over one other until my entire skull felt like it was being bore into with a thousand small daggers.

Unprovoked, my body was going into fight or flight and I spiralled into a panic attack. Fear washed over me like a stepping foot under a shower without realizing the water was ice cold. I felt like I was dying. The crowded hallways made me feel claustrophobic, like I was suffocating, like I couldn't breathe, like the walls were caving in on me.

Some days I felt everything at once. Some days I felt nothing at all. I no longer knew if it was worse to be drowning beneath the waves or dying from thirst.

I darted into the girl's restroom, rushing to the sink and splashing water over my face. When I looked at myself in the mirror, I felt like I was standing behind a fog and couldn't quite make out my own features.

A hollow cry escaped my mouth as I shrunk down on the floor, hugging my knees to my chest.

You're here. You're not there.

Breathe. Just fucking breathe.

I needed to get out. Out of my own body. Out of my own mind. My entire being felt like it was being compressed until there was nothing more left of me but a thin sheet.

The pain held onto me so gently. As you move throughout your day, you try to shake it softly. You quickly learn, it wants to stay-it lingers in the corner, it follows you around. Just when you think you've lost it, you'll learn no solace can be found.

The thing I had learnt about pain was that it demands to be felt.

"Hey-hey, you're okay. You're okay." I could hardly hear the voice as someone came behind me, wrapping their arms around my shaking body. "Shh. You're right here. You're safe. Nothing is going to hurt you."

After what felt like maybe an hour-but was probably only a few minutes, my breaths began to even, still wheezing slightly. The trembling of my body lessened.

I sniffled as I pulled back, craning my neck over. "Draco?"

He smiled weakly, his eyes filled with sadness and concern. "You're okay. I'm not going anywhere."