chapter 67

LOVE THAT BLEEDS YOU DRY

I shoved my way through the crowded Ravenclaw common room. The air smelt of cheap alcohol and weed. The music was loud enough to penetrate my eardrums and I could hardly see anything through the flashing lights.

My attention was solely focused on a blonde Slytherin I searched the room for. I hadn't seen Draco since he left the Great Hall earlier.

"Lys, there you are!" Pansy swung an arm over my shoulders and beamed a bright smile. Judging from how she leaned nearly her entire body weight into my side, it was obvious she was already drunk.

"Hey, have you seen Draco anywhere?" Helping Pansy remain upright, I continued scanning the room.

"I think he was with some of the boys earlier. Not sure." Pansy held a bottle in front of my face, capturing my attention. "Want some?"

I sighed. "Maybe later. I want to find Draco first."

Pansy groaned dramatically. "Fine. You know where to find me." Within a blink, she had headed for the make-shift dance floor. I watched for a moment; her arms flailing in the air as she bounced along to the music, her hair sticking to her face from sweat.

And then, my eyes flickered onto a familiar mop of white-blonde hair. Draco.

I think I almost audibly heard my heart crack despite the deafening music.

Draco stood across the room, Astoria Greengrass beside him with his arm swung over her shoulders. In his other hand, he held a bottle of muggle alcohol. Montague, Pucey and Theodore Nott stood around him, the lot of them chatting and laughing.

I watched as Astoria went up on her tippy-toes, whispering something into Draco's ears, resulting in a smirk forming on his beautiful face.

Holy fuck. I can feel the pain clenching my heart. Oh fuck. That hurts.

Seems I need that drink after all.

I grabbed the nearest bottle of Firewhiskey and chugged-chugging and chugging until I felt my insides burning with toxicity.

"Drinking that much probably isn't recommended for a former drug-addict."

Licking my lips, I slowly turned to face Mara. "Don't tell me you're concerned."

Mara folded her arms across her chest. I could see the amusement dancing in her eyes. It was sickening. "The more concern one holds, the weaker they become."

I laughed bitterly. "Seems like a pointer I may just take."

Mara quirked an eyebrow. She glanced over my shoulder, presumably at Draco. "Trouble in paradise?"