chapter 13

YULE BALL

YULE BALL

Christmas day arrived which also meant it was the night of the Yule Ball.

I was getting ready for the ball with Pansy, in her room. She stood behind me, curling my hair while I sat in front of the small vanity she had.

I looked at her through the mirror. "Can I ask you something, Pans?"

She met my eyes through the mirror, nodding. "Of course."

I hesitated for a moment, unsure how to ask. I didn't need to-I just couldn't help my confusion or curiosity. "Was Blaise going to ask me to the ball?"

Pansy froze for a moment. She cleared her throat, continued to curl strands of my hair without looking at me. "That is what everyone was saying."

I stared at her flatly. "Come on. Don't lie to me, Pans. Just tell me."

Pansy sighed deep and met my gaze again. She shrugged weakly. "I'm sure you already know he was going to."

I nodded slowly. "So-why didn't he?"

Pansy paused for a long moment. "I don't know."

"Yes, you do."

"No."

"Pansy," I whined. "I don't care. It doesn't matter. I'm not upset or anything. I really am just curious."

It was confusing to me. I did think Blaise liked me and we were such good friends, we got along so well-it just didn't make sense to me that he had been working up the courage to ask me but then he suddenly changed his mind.

Pansy shook her head frantically, unsure. "I don't know, Lys. He just-he didn't tell me why."

Pansy was lying.

She avoided my gaze and she was sputtering. I could see right through her-she wasn't telling me the truth. For a Slytherin, she made a crappy liar.

But I dropped the subject.

She wasn't going to tell me and it wasn't fair for her to have rat out Blaise for me. We both were her friends. I didn't want to put her in the middle of something-something that really didn't matter anyways. I was just curious.

My mother had sent me a gorgeous gown. It was a satin A-line gown in a dark forest green colour; a deep v-neckline and high slit going up my left leg.

I was looking at myself in the floor length mirror when Pansy came behind me. "You look totally fuckable."

A loud laugh escaped my throat. "Crass-but thank you, my love. You look gorgeous."

Pansy winked at me. She looped my arm through hers as we headed out of her room. "You know," she leaned into my side. "The way you pull off green, I could swear you're a Slytherin by heart."