"Are you saying that I bring despair to your life?"

Ron's eyes widened. "What? No!"

"That was bloody terrible." Hermione shook her head but failed to hide her smile.

"I thought it was bloody brilliant." Ron huffed a breath before he continued stuffing his face with potato crisps.

"I reckon someone should try that line on Professor Snape. You know, I don't think I've ever seen him smile." Luna mused in thought, her head resting in the palm of her hand.

"I actually haven't either." Hermione frowned. "It's a little sad, really."

Ron scoffed. "The man is a bully. Who cares if he smiles or not?"

Ron's comment caught my attention. I lifted my gaze from the piece of parchment I was folding into a paper crane. "I like Snape."

Ron gawked at me. "You do?"

I shrugged, looking back down at my half-done paper crane sitting on the library table in front of me. "He tried to help me. He used a healing spell to lessen my hand tremors after-" I paused, blinking as I stared blankly at the parchment. "After all the Crucio."

The table fell silent at my mention of my torture. Evidently, it was still an uncomfortable subject to bring up.

"Crucio." A scream escaped my throat as I withered out on the ground, my body shrinking into a ball. The effect was mind-numbingly painful. The pain went on and on, never-ending, until I eventually felt like my entire body would detonate into liquid matter from the pain.

I resumed folding the paper crane. It was a more difficult task when my hands refused to stop trembling. I wished more than anything I was high right now-but I knew I needed to stop. I had to at least try. It was the least I could do for my friends. Try. Just try.

Fold the top down.
Crease.
Lift the top flap.
Petal fold.
Push in the sides.

"Hey, love." Luna leaned into my side. "Are you okay?"

I nodded thoughtlessly. "I'm fine."

Keep folding. Keep repeating the steps. If I stay focused, my mind will shut up.

"I didn't know-that Snape did that." Hermione's voice was quiet, almost hesitant.

I shrugged, not looking up. "He cares more than he leads on. He didn't have to come out there and help fight-" I flinched involuntarily before I could even say his name. "You know. Him."

An uncomfortable silence lingered above our heads and I knew it was my fault. Samael Hadeon wasn't exactly an easy subject to talk about, for any of us.

Ron cleared his throat. "It's almost dinner. Should we head down to the Great Hall?" As the three of them packed up their things and got up, I stayed seated and finished folding my paper crane.

"Lys?" Hermione peered down at me, her voice wary. "You coming along?"

Fold.
Crease.
Lift top flap.
Petal fold.

"I'll catch up with you guys later."

They all hesitated until eventually murmuring goodbyes and heading out. I couldn't move. I couldn't get up. I couldn't stop folding paper cranes because I was afraid if I stopped mentally repeating the steps, other thoughts would become too loud.

Fold.
Crease.
Fold.
Crease.
Flip it over.

I didn't know how long I had been sitting there. I was entirely zoned out with no sense of time. My hands continued moving until it became an unconscious act, folding one paper crane after the next. I had gotten a few paper cuts. There were over twenty paper cranes sprawled on the table in front of me. I continued making more. I was sure I could easily make a thousand in one sitting. Maybe then I could get a wish.