CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER 1

"I solemnly pledge myself before god and in the presence of this assembly, to pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully. I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drugs."

"I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, and will hold in confidence all personal matters commited to my keeping and family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling. With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician, in his work, and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care."

I sigh deeply and smile nang matapos ang aming pang-umpisang panunumpa. General Theoden Ramos started his speech.

Tahimik lang kaming nakikinig sa nagsasalita sa una. I looked around and saw the face of my co-army nurses. Makikita sa mga mukha nila ang dignidad na pinapangarap nila, na ngayon ay abot kamay na namin.

We stand once again for our last pledge. Iniangat namin ang aming kanang kamay before starting our pledge as an army nurse.

"As an army nurse, I accept the responsibilities of an officer in the army nurse corps. I shall give faithful care to the men who fight for freedom of this country and to those women who stand behind them. I shall approach him cheerfully at all times under any condition I find. I shall appear fearless in the presence of danger and quiet the fears of others to the best of my ability. My only criticism shall be constructive. The reputation and good name of the nursing profession shall be uppermost in my thoughts, second only to the care of my patients. I shall endeavor to be a credit to the country and to the uniform I wear." I stand straight once again before continuing. "I, Astrielle Joy Ocampo, pledging as an army nurse."

Sabay-sabay kaming sumaludo sa mga nakakataas na opisyal na nasa harap namin nang matapos ang panunumpa.

"This is it, dauntless bravery women" nakangising saad ng nasa tabi kong si Zindaya.

"Tss." I just smirked at her. Naglakad na akong papalayo at tuluyan na sanang lalabas nang may narinig na tumawag sakin.

I saw Sergeant Major Allen Santos while walking towards me. Nang makalapit siya ay agad akong umayos ng tindig at matikas na sumaludo sa kanya. He take my hands and shake them as a gesture of greeting.

"Congratulations, Nurse Astrielle Joy Ocampo. Our new army nurse. Welcome to LOFREHO Task Force Army." he smiled at me.

"Thank you, Sgt. Santos." I salute him once with full of respect.

Sa totoo lang, ayoko na may bumabati sakin. I just do what I wanted to do. Hindi ko ginusto ang propesyon na ito para hangaan ng iba. Ito ang gusto ko, dahil ito ang kailangan ng bansa ngayon.

Soldiers helding their guns to fight for freedom and rights. They're taking their lives at risk just to fight for our freedom. Imagine, kung hahayaan lang natin silang lumaban at mamatay sa natamo nilang sugat at tama ng bala, sino pang lalaban para sa kapayapaan?

Thats the reason why I wanted to be in this profession. Kung misyon ng mga sundalo na lumaban para sa kapayapaan, misyon namin bilang army nurse ang samahan sila sa laban at gamitin sa kanila ang aming kakayahan at abilidad na pinaghirapan naming pag-aralan.