22. I Can't Have That

Bighit High vs Pledis High pt4

Chan: You're paying me back for Beomgyu? Senpai, could I change my mark?
Pledis player 4: Huh? Why?
Chan: Well...it seems I've got a proxy here demanding payment.

The game was underway with Bighit having the ball. While Beomgyu stayed at the bench.

Chan: I'm surprised they sent you and not Beomgyu, but for them to send a first-year at all looks like Bighit's upperclassmen aren't so dependable. They just said they benched you two because it was their will. But here you are.
Kai: I asked to be put in. Anyway, if you've been watching the game, there's no way you could believe that. If the upperclassmen have their will, then lower class men have respect. I will defeat you to support the upperclassmen...who I look up to.

After that Kai disappeared like he was never there in front of Chan. Chan was shocked, turned around and saw Kai running asking for the ball. Taehyun passed to him, Kai bounced pass to Yeonjun and made a wide open layup.

Chan's thoughts: I lost him! How did—when did he...

Crowd: There it is again! Bighit's magic pass!

Mingyu's thoughts: What's going on? Those passes are strong. But...even the receivers are slipping past the defense!

At the crowd...

Lia: Come on, we made it just in time.
Ryujin: Finally we're here.
Chaeryeong: let's go find seats.

The three found seats where they can see Bighit against Pledis.

Lia: I can see them.
Ryujin: What a line up.
Chaeryeong: I can see Yeonjun, Hyunwoo, Hangyeol, Hueningkai and Tae.
Ryujin: Tae? You just met him and You're already making nicknames for him.
Chaeryeong: Haha sorry my bad.
Lia: Shush now we came to watch the game and cheer them on.
The two girls: *nodded*

Back to the game

Pledis have the ball, a third year has the ball passed to Seokmin. But, Yeonjun tipped it and stole the ball for a fast break. Yeonjun passed to Kai, Kai passed to Hangyeol and then Hangyeol made a layup.

Chan: *panting* What is this? What's going on?
Seokmin: They know our movements!
Pledis coach: They got us. I've never seen anyone study us so thoroughly before.

Yeonjun: Thanks to you guys, one of our DVD players is ruined.
Mingyu: Huh?
Seokmin: They really got us.

Hyunsuk: As their name suggests, old martial arts techniques are ancient. Their thought process is completely different from modern sports science. Applying those specialized movements to baskeball is Pledis' strength, but...
Yeji's thoughts: If you're specialized, you've got habits. For example, normally, people will step towards the direction they're heading as they start to move. Pledis' players point their toes in the direction they're heading before they even move. In other words, once we recognize that habit, we can predict their next move. That's why the second-years alongside Taehyun have been studying hard after practice. That said, keeping up with those movements was harder than we expected.
Yeonjun's thoughts: Because of that, we haven't been able to deal with them until the second half.
Taehyun's thoughts: It's not really obvious enough to call a habit.

Ryujin: Damn they're good, go Bighit!
Lia: Especially the two first years: Kai and Taehyun. But I'm wondering about something.
Chaeryeong: What is it?
Lia: Why is Beomgyu on the bench? Yeonjun said he's a starter.
Ryujin: Who knows, we'll ask them after the game is over.

Both teams have been scoring lately. Especially Bighit.

Bighit bench

Beomgyu: This is the upperclassmen's will. Huh?

Beomgyu just now, realised that this is the first time he watched Kai play since they play together.

Beomgyu's thoughts: Now that I think about it, this is the first time I've watched Kai from the bench.

At the court, Kai just endlessly passing the ball to his teammates to score every time.

Beomgyu: Amazing.
Yeji: You just noticed? He's always like this!

When Bighit kept at it, they finally had the lead. 70-69 to Bighit with 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

Crowd: A comeback? Is Bighit serious? Bighit caught up!

Yeonjun: We can't let them get this!

While Mingyu have the ball, started running to the hoop while screaming and made a dunk in front of Hangyeol and Hyunwoo.

Mingyu: Do not underestimate a king! You need ten more years of experience to beat us!

Yeji: Damnit!! Huh? All court man to man?

Hyunsuk: They're not just trying to defend, they're trying to score another shot!

Chaeryeong's thoughts: Come on Tae, you can do this.

Taehyun have the ball while Seokmin defending him. Taehyun is having a hard time trying to pass it to someone. Unexpectedly, Hangyeol did a screen and Taehyun got through. When Taehyun passed through, he passed it to Kai who was about to pass to Hyunwoo. But, out of nowhere, Chan appeared in front of him to stop Kai. When Kai saw that, he changed his course of pass to Yeonjun who was at the corner and shot a three pointer...

And made it in.

After that, the game ended and Bighit with the triumph against the one of kings. 73-71 to Bighit

Bighit players: Yes! All right!!
Hyunwoo: We won!

Ryujin: They won!! Yes!!
Lia: One more! And then to the championship league.
Chaeryeong's thoughts: You did it Tae, I knew you could it. *smiled*

Yeji smiled because she couldn't believe they won. Meanwhile, Pledis were disappointed they lost. Chan was angry and frustrated that he lost.

Chan: Why? Bighit just formed last year! We practice way more than them! They didn't stand a chance last year! No matter how you look at it, we're stronger!
Mingyu: Enough, Chan.
Chan: But—
Mingyu: The strong don't win. The winners are the strong ones. They were stronger. That's all.

Chan: *calling Kai* Tell me your name! Your name!
Kai: It's Hueningkai.
Chan: I'll remember it. I definitely won't forget.
Kai: Thanks.

Both teams lined up.

Referee: Seventy-three to seventy-one, Bighit!
Both teams: Thank you very much!

Yeji: *about to cry* Congratulations, guys.
Yeonjun: *patted Yeji's hand* Keep it together, Coach. It's not time to cry yet. You can be happy after we win the next championship game.
Yeji: Okay.

Beomgyu: Looks like they're finished, too.
Kai: You're right.

Referee: One hundred thirteen to thirty-eight, Woolim!
Both teams: Thank you very much.

Minseo: How much do we have to love basketball to jump right into the championship with hardly a break? But, well, it's all good. They made it.
Junho: I can see that.

When Junho looked at Beomgyu and Kai, they were looking at him too. After that, Junho smiled.

To be continued...