Live Free

Vale screamed, freedom slipping through her fingers as the AI yanked her from the hatch, pulling her down towards Kebar. 

Two sets of arms shot down and gripped Vale's wrists, pulling her to a stop. Vale looked up into Dash and Sky's faces, their concern mirrored in each other's eyes. They looked past her and saw their grandfather, faces transforming into identical ones of terror. Dash glanced back at Vale, his eyes angry. "I should have pulled you in." 

Vale shook her head, ignoring the AI's grip growing stronger on her leg. "No." She looked over at Sky, blinking back relieved tears. His chest was still exposed, his mechanical heart-thumping wildly inside, but it was beating and that was more than she dared hope for. He wasn't trapped at Kebar's side. 

"Thank you," she said to Dash swallowing past the lump in her throat. 

Dash ignored her thanks, a look of betrayal and hurt crossing his features. Sky looked over at Dash, registering Dash's choice. Sky's eyes flared in anger and confusion. 

"Don't blame him. Dash didn't know," Vale insisted. 

"Hello," Kebar's voice filled the air, causing Vale, Dash, and Sky to tense in response, reminding them that a very clear threat remained. "Come down my dear spirited Grandson's."

"I think we will have to decline your request for a family reunion doting grandfather," Dash shouted with dramatic air. "We are late for literally anything else." 

Sky turned, staring at Dash, shocked at the open defiance. Dash shrugged, looking calm. But Vale knew better, feeling his hands shaking as he held her in place. He was terrified of his grandfather.

Kebar's eyes narrowed. "It isn't a request." 

Vale bit back a scream when the AI shoved a knife into her leg, ripping it across her ligaments. Blinding pain exploded like fire and she couldn't hide the tears that filled her eyes. Vale tried to look brave, but there was no hiding the agony the AI had caused. And her panic worsened at the look of terror on the faces of the two boys above. 

"Come down now, and she is free to go," Kebar shouted from below, his hair whipping wildly in the wind. 

Sky and Dash shared a look, both moving towards the edge in unison. Both so foolishly eager to obey. To save. To sacrifice.

"Don't you dare!" Vale shouted, panic wrapping around her, and making her voice rise in pitch. "If you let go, he'll just drag all three of us down. Pull me up!"

"Her leg will be shattered and cut to ribbons if you try!" Kebar laughed at Vale's attempt to find a solution.

"Then let it break! Take the whole thing!" Vale growled. She looked at Dash and Sky. "I would rather not have it than trade you both away to keep it."

"COME DOWN, OR I WILL SHOOT ALL THREE OF YOU!" Kebar shouted, aiming a pulse gun up in their direction.

Vale looked up at Dash and Sky. She took in the two boys who had fought to save her countless of times. Who had given so much to protect. Who had shown her gentleness in a world full of cruelty. Who were wanted by a crazed lunatic that made them believe they couldn't have normal lives. A man had turned every part of their lives into a game of chase. 

Vale refused to play the game Kebar's way, to give him what he wanted. She hated what he had done, not only to them but to their mothers. And what he would continue to do if he lived. 

She looked at the two boys.

One boy with golden hair woven from sunrays. A boy with eyes like the sea that were made of ice one moment and storms the next. A boy of silence that spoke volumes. A boy who had sent her would into beautiful chaos. A boy who had saved her life before he knew who she was. A boy who had fixed her arm before it could kill her. A boy who had tried to keep the world he came from a secret out of fear of taking her down with him. A boy she had risked everything to save and would do it again.

Then there was the boy with raven black hair, locks as black as night. A boy with eyes of forest green that lured her in a way she feared. A boy that healed with his hands instead of hurt. A boy who spoke blunt truths and demanded the same of her. A boy who put other's desires before his own. A boy that refused secrets and lies. A boy who could have made a fortune off of all the times he had put her back together after she had been broken. A boy that made her question her wants. 

Vale's eyes filled with a silent apology as she took them in, memorizing their faces, snatching a moment to trace them into a portrait just for her. Both boys side by side working together. Something rare and beautiful that she would cherish. 

The look on Vale's face was one that both boys registered at the exact same moment. An unspoken goodbye. She had promised Dash to retrieve Sky and she had promised Sky his freedom. Vale was intent on keeping that promise. She had done what they had needed and now she needed to finish things with Kebar.

Sky shook his head wildly, panic filling his ocean eyes like an all-consuming storm.

Dash shouted, "Vale, no!" His voice firm, angry. Green eyes flashing in shock and pain.

Vale looked at both boys, determination flooding through her. She was thankful when her voice came out strong and steady. "Live free boys. Finish this and live." 

Then Vale yanked her hands free from their grasp and fell through the air. 

Eyes of forest and sky widened as hands scrambled after her. Hands that were rough from mechanical work and hands that were soft for saving. They moved towards her but only caught air as she fell, pulled down by the waiting AI.