The Lions Den

Thoughts of murder fluttered through Vale's mind as she walked down the hallway in a dress that hugged her body in ways that she would have refused to humor if Ace had been with her. Ace is lucky that he's thousands of miles away.

Vale had so few items to work with that she was forced into the mermaid-style dark blue sequin dress that emphasized curves she hadn't been fully aware she had, praying that the others looked just as ridiculous as she felt. A single silver lace glove snaked up her flesh and blood arm, matching her metal arm in its detailed glistening beauty.

She had left her hair down, wanting to cover as much of the open back of her dress as possible. The curls swayed as she walked down the hall in her delicate heels. She hadn't spotted any of the other girls yet. Then again, she was a little early. No doubt the others would use every minute they had to get ready. Vale had given up trying to tame her curls, or add makeup onto her face when she realized the risk of looking foolish was dangerously high.

Taking a deep breath, she moved to open the doors to the large banquet halls but stopped when she heard someone behind her. "Wait." Vale turned and saw the girl with red hair staring at her with a cold expression. "I wouldn't be the first one in."

The girl wore a black dress that was all sharp angles, making her look villainous and breathtaking when paired with her smokey eyeshadow and sharp triangle earrings. Everything about her was meticulous and well thought out. "You never want to show up first."

"Thanks."

The girl pursed her blood-colored lips, seeming to be trying to pick Vale apart with her eyes. "Do you really know Grandson Devinus?"

Vale nodded. "Sky? Yes."

"What's he like?" she asked, her voice dripping with curiosity.

The question caught Vale off guard. "He's... clever. Warm. Kind."

The girl smiled, suddenly amused. "You really do know him." She crossed her arms. "I thought you were bluffing back there."

Vale shook her head. "It would be a stupid thing to lie about."

"I didn't think you were smart either."

Vale laughed. "Well, I don't blame you. It's quite mad to come here without an invitation."

The girl's smile grew wider. "Call me Fox."

"I'm Vale." Vale raised a brow. "Self-given name?"

"Yes." The girl turned on her heels and shot Vale a warning smile over her shoulder. "Only show people what you want them to see." She disappeared down the hall, waving her hand in departure. "See you inside the living crypt later, Vale."

...

The energy in the banquet hall was like bubbles. Airy, light, and on the verge of bursting with the slightest foreign touch. Vale's entrance, although quiet, didn't go by unnoticed. Ace had made her impossible to miss. And even with her poorly done hair and lack of makeup, eyes raked over her with unveiled jealousy.

Tables covered in silk tablecloths surrounded the outskirts of the banquet hall. Each table was set up with five chairs. Small elegant place cards sat atop of large gold-rimmed plates in front of each chair. A servant approached Vale, head bowed. "Excuse me, miss, may I assist you with finding your seat?"

Vale gave the short voluptuous girl with deep brown hair a relieved smile. "That would be fantastic. Yes."

The girl continued to stare at the ground, her voice squeaking like a terrified mouse. "If you give me your name, I'll escort you to your table."

"I'm Vale Vita. What's your name?" Vale asked.

The girl's head shot up, her eyes wide. "Oh... my name... It's Pavi."

Vale gave her a small nod of hello. "Nice to meet you Pavi. Thanks for your help."

The girl blinked and after a short moment of hesitation, she gave Vale a shy smile. "It's my pleasure. Right this way."

Vale found herself standing before Fox, Osti, Cee, and their ringleader with blond hair who scowled at Vale as she approached. Pavi pulled out Vale's chair and she sat down as gracefully as she could manage in her tight dress.

"Long time no see," Vale said quietly to Fox, who was sitting to her left. Fox held up her glass of water and gave her a nod in greeting.

"Your hair looks ghastly," the girl with blond hair scoffed at Vale, her lips pursed in a frown of disapproval.

Vale turned to look at her and bit back several unladylike responses before landing on something that wouldn't lead her to be tempted to punch the girl. "Went for more of a windswept look. Inspired by my entrance today. Didn't want to let all these wild curls go to waste.

The other girls giggled. The blond glared around the table. "Don't humor her. She'll think she's staying."

A set of elegant music began to play, strings in a soft rhythmic measure. All eyes turned to a set of doors to the far left as they opened to reveal Kebar and an elegant older woman. Sky's grandmother. 

Kebar took her arm and wrapped it around his. They moved into the room to a set of tall black chairs that sat behind a large rectangular table. Everyone watched them move, but Vale's eyes had gone back to the door, waiting for the reason why she had come.

Sky walked into the room wearing an elegant black suit. A pair of snow-white gloves covered his hands. A rich red tie sat above a crisp white button-up shirt. His short golden hair was slicked back away from his face. "He's beautiful," Fox whispered.

Vale nodded and pulled her eyes away as Sky took his seat next to Kebar. "Thank you all for coming!" Kebar said with a wide smile.

"For one of you, this is the start of a lifelong journey." Kebar placed his hand on Sky's shoulder in a possessive gesture. "For most of you... it won't be nearly as much fun."

Everyone laughed and Vale forced herself to smile, to blend into the hall. "But for a few of you, right now, your journey has come to an end."

The room fell into silence. "We will be playing quite a few amusing little games while you are here. It is for your enjoyment, along with allowing us to see just what you are each capable of. The staff will be bringing each of you a screen. It is time for our first game. When it is over, the losers will be escorted from the Devinus castle. You won't be welcome here again." His eyes were dangerously dark, his tone murderous. A chill ran down Vale's spine, suddenly realizing that if she did not fin a way to win the next game, she was going to die.