9- Sign

"Long time no speak" I said over the phone.

"Init. Never thought I'd hear your voice again, b. You miss me?"

"Kai don't gas yourself," I laughed, "I just need some kush"

"Ah seen, seen. You know there's a way you can get it for free..."

I rolled my eyes, saying, "you know I'm only 17 right?"

"Still legal miss"

"Kmt anyway just send me a price and location. In a bit." I cut the phone call off before more nonsense came out his mouth.

I hadn't seen Kai in like four years since everything. He lived in east so I was surprised we never bumped into each other, but in all his ig posts he had his face covered so I don't know if I would even recognise him now.

I made my way to Hackney by train soon after. Once I got there I saw that the place he sent me was bare dodgy even though it was daytime. I nearly cried after seeing a rat speed past me. Scared, I quickly texted Kai to ask where he was.

Me: where u @ ?
Kdot: aah sh*t I forgot to tell u I changed the addy

Kdot sent his location

Me: ffs that's litch 15 mins from my house n I just trekked over an hr to come here? I better get a discount.
Kdot: you always know I could give it to u for free👀
Me: 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

All this travelling and wasting money; is this a sign that I shouldn't be doing this?

After another hour, I finally found Kai. He defo grew a lot since I last saw him, but his face was covered when I met up with him so I still didn't know how he looked.

"You're looking sweet still, just like your pics. I hate how many girls come looking differentttt"

"Kai, can I just have what I came for. I've already wasted two hours and I still need to go shopping" I moaned.

"So what, you're doing this edibles ting again?" He asked.

"It- it's a long story, I just need the money to help someone"

"Say nothing. Tell you what, if you let me come with you I'll pay for your stuff" Kai requested.

"Lol, why?"

"I've got time init. We can do a lil catch up"

I mean it's not like I was gonna say no to free stuff...

We went into the shops and I picked out some nerds, millions, chocolate and some other pointless stuff since Kai was paying.

Take his money, take all dat nigga money!

"Nah Tanisha you've actually grown; man said you banged a girl up at her own party. Just know me and my niggas are still here if you get in trouble" Kai laughed.

"Please I'm not even about that life, she-" I stopped talking and gave Kai the shopping as I saw Samuel walking towards us.

What the hell we gon do, now...

"Ai Tani who's this? I thought you said you were at Jamila's" Samuel pointed at Kai.

"I've known her since young, who's this yute?" Kai asked.

"Her man, and what?" Samuel got closer to him.

Why are boys like this?

I laughed before introducing them, "ugh Samuel, Kai. Kai, Samuel. We're here because I was trying to get you a birthday present cause it's your birthday soon and I needed a boy's perspective." I lied, "it was meant to be a surprise"

"Ooooooh sh*t. Call me when you get home init" Samuel hugged me and spudded Kai.

As we walked out of the shop and to the train station, Kai asked, "Why you lying to your man? I know a dealer when I see one"

"He can't know I'm dealing for him. He doesn't want me doing this" I confessed.

"Say no moreee. You know, I'd love if my girl was on road; me and her running the streets together" He dreamily looked up to the sky.

"Don't dead me. Anyway thanks for the shopping and the...yeah."

"Love." Kai spudded me and went inside the train station.

Aside from his 'jokes' he was actually a good friend, and I kind of missed hanging with him. If I was still with Tyrell there'd be no way he'd let me be friends with him. But the interaction with Samuel didn't seem so bad once he knew I wasn't f*cking Kai.

-

"At least give me a cluee, mannn" Samuel pleaded over FaceTime.

"Nah I'm not telling you what I got you, you can wait a few days"

"Fineee, fine. But how'd you meet that guy you were with? He looked like he's a proper, you know-"

"GM?" I cut in.

"Yeah."

"He was three years above in my secondary and was one of my olders. We only got in contact again recently so for all I know maybe he is one. I don't even know what he looks like" I laughed.

"So why you lot talking now?"

"Well um, so you know when, um, I was with Tyrell and how he didn't trust me, you know, having male friends. I thought you could trust me" I said, flustered, trying to think of what to say.

"Tani, you know I do. It's mandem I don't trust, but it's not like I'm gonna force you to not see him and stuff."

"Trust me, I'm all about you" I kissed the camera and said good night before cutting off.

It's not even like I was cheating, but lying to him made me feel horrible. I guess it would be worth it in the end...

——— vote, share, comment 🤍

Sorry for the long wait😔.

Kai Koroma (Kdot), 20, Sierra Leonean