43

Warning:

I included an extra phase from the original HxH because this episode was crucial to the main candidates' character development but wasn't included to the 2011 version so many (Non old-HxH watchers) readers might get confused on this chapter.

If you want to watch it first, here's the info:

The "Bonus" 3rd Stage- Shipwrecks, Treasure Hunting, and Teamwork (1999, Episodes 18-20)

Or you can just ask me and I'll explain everything. Sorry for the wait and I hope you'll enjoy.^^

April 4th
Saturday
12:59 pm

Reader Pov

Hisoka broke our fall by revealing the rope he's holding on and we safely landed on the brick floor. The door automatically slide up, then a whirring noise prior to the announcement can be heard from the speakers on the ceilings.

"Number Forty-Four Hisoka. Time arrival, six hours and seventeen minutes."

"Number Four Hundred (Y/N). Err..." the Examiner stopped midway and sounded like he was consulting his comrades for something confidential. "Same time with the first candidate."

He made us sit at one side of the stone room, lacking in normal facilities but at least we got a tray of food to eat while waiting for others to arrive.

A few moments later the robotic pin statue arrived and nodded at us with a weird smile on his face. I only sighed and watched the time ticking. Unfortunately, it's only been hours after what felt like years.

"(Y/N), your food is here." An exasperated groan slipped my mouth before I forced my heavy eyelids open. I had no idea I fell asleep on Hisoka's lap because from what I recall, I was a meter away from him and only leaned my back against the wall.

"Did you do this on purpose?" I jerked up and frowned at him. I rolled my eyes as I come to realize that perhaps he also used his Bungee Gum to pull me in and made it look like I kissed him earlier.

"Yes." He looked at me as if he knew what's going on in my mind then winked playfully. I cursed under my breath and stood up to get my food. Then I conjured a personal nen jail to keep myself inside, protected from his pervy attacks.

"Clever." He commented and began building something from his trump cards. I watched him as I eat and the level of patience he had to build that house of cards over and over again despite them falling apart whenever he completes up to the middle was a bit impressive.

The problem is that just proved he was persistent and it's a disadvantage for me.

Eat—Sleep—Stare to nothingness—became a loop for tens of hours and occasionally, a player joins us in the cell but the kids aren't nowhere to be seen. I started worrying when there was only one hour left and the other candidates began preparing themselves for the next phase.

The boys arrived the last minute and I couldn't be more relieved knowing Killua and his friends made it. He seemed to be enjoying their company and I'm really glad he found good people amidst the stiff competition.

And that bond had gone stronger and tighter throughout the next day, once we landed on a crescent shaped island that looked like a graveyard of ships, due to the vast amount of them surrounding the place.

Now I understand why Netero called me last night in my bedroom at the airship and advised to sit this one out. That it is just about treasure hunting to get some decent room to spend two nights while the association still prepares the numbering system for the real next stage of the exam.

Although I refused because it would be unfair but once Hisoka and I ended up bickering again for some treasure I found underwater, I deeply regretted my decision.

"Oops." He spoke teasingly. "I got to this one first."

"Congratulations." I said sarcastically. "Too bad I've already ran out of curses to address you." I retorted when he stole the set of jewelries I found inside an old and mossy box beneath a sunken ship.

Hisoka only smirked then quietly returned the intricately-cut and designed blue diamond on a thick gold necklace back to it's leather mold then left like nothing happened.

I'm so pissed, however, I had no choice but to walk it off the moment I saw Killua having fun with his bubbly friend.

"Here." A key came flying on my face when I turned around to look. "That's your room and it's considered as a suite among others." Hisoka smirked and flipped his wet hair backwards.

The tips remained dripping and those beads of water raced down over his broad shoulders, toned chest and tight abs and if I continued to follow where they went, I'm pretty sure he won't shut up about it.

"T-thanks." I pushed that word out with all my might for his efforts to trade my stuff for a nice room and rushed into it before my face betray me.

There's no way I'd let him think I'm attracted to him at all. Even if his body is in fact, an irresistible eye candy. I've promised myself that I'm done with men after Silva did me wrong and Hisoka's type was even ten times worse to get involved with.

"Damn it..." I brushed my face with my palms and opted to take a warm shower before I catch a cold.

I hung my shirt and jeans on the chairs next to a square table across the bathroom and washed my underwear prior to taking a bath. Then I wore a thin, cotton robe while rubbing my hair dry on my way out.

"For a woman who had already given birth, I say you look hotter than ever."