35

Please Read:

Apologies, Hunter Exam usually commences at January but this is just a random request, so it's not originally aligned to this timeline. The phases will be the same but it'll be in my storyline, not canon style.

One more thing, I'll include one phase that's not in 2011 version because I want my friend Shae to see what I was talking about. Apologies if it bothers you.

April 3rd
Friday
6:35 am

Reader Pov

*Before Gon and friends arrived*

"Just wait here." Beans smiled and tapped my shoulder while I sit anxiously on one of the chairs of a round table, covered with red tablecloth. "You'll be lead into the First Phase of the Exam in a moment."

"Thank you Mr. Beans. I owe you one." I stood up and gave him a tight but brief hug for escorting me in this particular place. It turns out that they picked the least obvious building in Zaban city to be used as the entrance door. Not that I care.

"Be careful out there (Y/N)." Beans handed a #400 number plate on my palm and wished me luck.

"Thank you." I simply replied because I doubt he knows that I already have my own license and that this was just a part of my training, so there's no pressure in terms of winning.

I'll just have to go with the flow.

That's what I thought when I stepped in the dark room. Until I spotted the same man who nearly gotten me kįlled at the Heavens Arena. He was walking towards my position so I changed course and went a bit deeper into the right side of the crowd.

"Oof—" I grunted at the impact of my right shoulder hitting a hard surface and when I turned around, I saw a towering man with a small portion of dark, bluish hair left sticking atop his bald head. His dark eyes are barely recognizable due to their narrowness and his face and chest were full of big, round, golden pins. "I'm sorry..." I apologized even though I was careful to not hit anyone to prevent unnecessary commotion.

The pin droid only stared at me blankly. The eerie look he gave me back creeped me out so I moved along, meeting a chubby old man who greeted me with enthusiasm.

"Hello there," he waved his right hand and smiled widely, "I'm Tonpa, a veteran here. I can see you're new and probably very anxious. Want some chilled drink to calm you down?" He offered a can of orange juice and I would've taken it in a heartbeat if I haven't seen Hisoka fast approaching.

"U-um... thanks but I have to go." I smiled apologetically and almost zigzagged my way to the front. A little while later, the appointed examiner specifically ordered for us to follow him. I was about to, if I hadn't notice the boy I used to know.

"Killua? Is that you?" I called and the silver-haired kid riding a pair of roller skates didn't even bat an eye. "W-wait!" I swerved and persistently chased the boy till he made an abrupt stop, then glared daggers at me.

"Leave me alone or else..." he subtly warned yet his fingernails suggested the opposite and the veins all over his fingers just proved how much hostility is incorporated in there. He slowed down and disappeared behind the group of three identical looking men.

I shook my head and had no other choice but to let him be. It hurt, yet his indifference makes sense since I literally left him to dįe, even if it's not entirely my fault. And approximately two hours later, the person to blame was now jogging alongside with me, deliberately or not.

"Long time no see." He smirked and leaned forward, shortening the gap between our cheeks. "So that means the ambulance I called somehow had gotten to you before you bled out huh?"

"What?" I widened my eyes on him. The sound of the soles ahead of me sped up and as much as I wanted to hear more about the topic, I had to raise my pace and keep up with the examiner. Running blindly could be weary, however, knowing he's around to antagonize me was more exhausting than this physical activity.

"Never mind, it's all in the past now. If you'll survive long enough, perhaps we can get to play this time around." He winked playfully and proceeded to run along with the green shirt needle bot.

I was about to retaliate when I got distracted by a frustrated yell at the back. I caught a glimpse of Killua slowing down together with a raven-haired kid carrying a fishing pole. It was a dangerous move to stop and stick my nose to where it doesn't belong, but I was worried for nothing.

It appears that the friend of a friend he found along the way is exhausted and needed some motivation so I smiled at him to brighten up his day but it seems like it was a bad idea.

The tall, black-haired glasses man took his shirt off and rushed towards me like a maniac, forcing me to run away like a prey. Fortunately, the steep staircase gave me a bit of an advantage, although in the end, the first ones to reach the goal was the two energetic boys.

"Goal!" They both yelled in unison and the scene reminded me of how Killua used to act when we were still living in one roof. I wanted to hug and congratulate him. Express regret for what I've done which may have caused bad memories for a child like him.

But the problem is will he let me?

My train of thoughts were derailed by the sudden uproar at the right side of the crowd. There was an argument about the authenticity of the person in charge of the Exam and the candidates were starting to doubt the pink-haired Hunter in front, despite his clear warning of the dangers lurking within the new, open track.

"Don't be fooled!" A blonde, injured man yelled at the corner wall, "he's an imposter!"

They all expressed frustrations towards him and to be honest, I would too, if I couldn't see his faint aura sticking out. No matter what, I know he could prove he's the real deal but of course, Hisoka had to make a scene by assaulting both of them and kįlling the fake one in an instant. He warned the flashy redhead to never do it again and to my surprise, the latter agreed obediently.

"Congratulations (Y/N). You passed the warmup phase. But will you be able to pull through this time around?" Hisoka teased.

"I'm not as weak as you think."

"I know. That's why I have a proposition." He smirked and pulled a Joker out of a thick deck of cards, then licked it's edges. I'm not sure if he's being seductive or he's trying to scare me. All I know is with that make up and get up, I can't really take him seriously. "I'll give you a half an hour head start. Run as fast as you can."

A/N:

Sorry for adding some bits of my ideas to the canon because I can't just copy it's non-romantic plot. I know some people hate when I do this but I guess I can't please everybody.

Thank you for checking the update out and again, sorry for the wait. I was distracted this weekend by relatives so it was late.