34

*I apologize if the canon timeline doesn't fit this specific narrative because this story just grows from random suggestions and I originally planned the story to fit into Killua's birthday only.

The Exam date will move as how I will write it here because it's just an afterthought of an idea that is requested lately.

April 3rd
Friday
6:21 am

Reader Pov

"You sure you don't need a companion?" Mr. Zebro asked worriedly.

"No, I prefer to be alone." I smiled as I hurled a rope with hook over the towering wall I conjured myself and bid him goodbye. It's so nice of him to offer a hand, survival tips and warnings about how dangerous the jungle surrounding the Kukuroo Mountain are, especially at night.

And I actually thought it's gonna be hard. However, contrary to my expectations, I managed to use my aura to boost my speed for a few hours over the smooth surface of the towering walls, till I start to get dehydrated from the bright sun prickling my head.

So I decided to take a short rest for lunch and sat on the wall, hanging my lower legs facing the dormant volcano. I drank half of the water bag before taking a bite on one of the three rice-balls with small, pickled plum I prepared beforehand.

"How's it going?"

I nearly choked at the grain of rice I unintentionally sucked within my air-pipe, right after hearing that painfully familiar voice. After coughing hard for awhile, I had to drink again to soothe my grazed throat and turned around to face the person I don't really want to see right now. "I'm actually completely fine before you arrived, like I always do."

"Nice to see you as well." He retorted passively which made it even more annoying for some reason.

"I thought you already left? Don't tell me you're bored again and got nothing to do within your high-class office?" I asked sarcastically and continued munching my convenient food without offering him. He wouldn't eat a peasant's food anyway. I'm still a bit pissed at how he treats me like some kind of entertainment even if he has helped me a couple of times because of them.

"I came back to check on you." Chairman Netero caressed his beard as he ran his indifferent eyes on my whole body, covered by gears with heavy metal plates. "I heard you're trying to fulfill a demand. Did you really expect to get stronger just by breaking sweat?"

"Of course not." I replied coldly and wiped my mouth clean. "I'm running out of time but I can't magically grow muscles big enough to reach my goal within under a month."

"Not your fault at all so stop sulking. There's a better and interesting way to get stronger."

"I'm all ears."

"I thought you'd try to talk your way out of it." He was smirking as his wooden sandals click clacked against the hard surface and stood a few inches away. "The two-hundred-eighty-seventh Hunter Exam is going to take place today and there are various phases that could hone your skills in different categories for a short period of time."

"I thought Hunters such as myself aren't eligible to join the second time around?" I sighed in frustration. "I haven't even used the card you gave me in fear of being tracked." I looked away before adding another phrase to hide my heated face. "After all of the things I've endured just to get one."

"Like making babies inside a restroom, taking advantage of the dress I gave you?"

"Wha—how—"

"Don't act surprised. It's a general knowledge that I can hear things." He chuckled afterwards and it's really tempting to slap his pervy face but I already know it'll be pointless with his incredible speed. "Honestly, I feel bad for my behavior which brought you to this mess, however, I cannot change the past. To make amends, I'm trying to help you succeed. After all, you're my favorite disciple."

"I highly doubt that is an advantage for me, let's be real here." I rolled my eyes and watched the clear blue skies with no visible clouds in sight. "Your timing and persistence are very suspicious. What are you up to?"

"Nothing. As I've said, I'm going to correct my mistake and genuinely wanted to help. The whole thing will only take a month at most. So, are you in?"

 So, are you in?"

A/N:

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) do you believe him? ☝︎︎

Hello dear Readers, how're y'all's Christmas? Have you received gifts or money? Hope you had fun and good food with your family. ✌︎︎☃︎

Sorry for the late update, I had to find a way to link the plot twist we wanted for Zeno and Hisoka so my brain bled a lot for it and this is what I came up with.(^^;)

Hope you'll like it and I'm grateful for your continued patronage.^^