"Partially the gutsy way she stood up and took responsibility in front of the whole team. I couldn't help admiring that. That's the kind of backbone I need in my unit. But the biggest reasons? I believe in her. And I see myself in her, to an extent anyway."

Jay liked the openness of the conversation. They were now at the point where they could talk about work like any other couple when they were on personal time, ignoring as much as possible the fact that they worked together, with Erin as his boss.

"How do you see yourself in her?" he asked.

"Hank saw a lot of potential in me when I was in uniform, and not just because of our personal relationship. He saw someone who could make an excellent detective. He saw raw talent, and he decided to take it upon himself to shape that talent. That's how I see Purrazzo. Yes, she's green in some respects, maybe too many right now for a unit like Intelligence to be honest. But I didn't take her on for right now. I took her on for years to come, and unless she pulls another major screw up like yesterday's, I think she'll prove to be a great asset to the team."

"Plus women are under represented in policing."

"Plus women are under represented in policing," Erin agreed. "I very much want to keep Purrazzo on the team, but as her mentor you need to know that I'll have to let her go if she does make a screw up like that again. Intelligence cannot carry passengers, and I can't risk my people being killed due to recklessness."

"I understand that. She understands that. We spoke about it last night at Molly's. There's no doubt she's determined not to mess up her last chance."

The waitress returned to the table with a large tray containing their food and drinks. She put it on the table, then set the items in front of them. "Enjoy," she said when she was done.

"Thank you," Jay said.

Erin used the interruption to change the subject. "How was your night at Adam and Kim's?"

"Good, thanks. Chilled. It was nice to catch up with them. They were both happy that the three of you got to talking at Molly's. I think they miss your friendship. Actually, scratch that. I know they miss your friendship."

Erin's eyes remained on her breakfast for a moment while she ate. "I miss their friendship too," she said quietly. "I wonder if they'll feel the same way after today. I'm going to have to have everyone in my office individually over this Martinez disaster after I get back from my roasting from Kelton."

"They won't hold it against you outside of work, Er. That separation is something we're all getting used to now."

"Yeah, I suppose we are," Erin said. Her tone hinted that as yet, she wasn't quite convinced.

Halstead got to the 21st before Lindsay after their breakfast date. When he walked into Intelligence, he found everyone else at their desks. They all knew today wasn't a day to show up after the boss. The room was quiet too, with everyone working on their reports from the previous day's operation. The usually fairly jovial morning atmosphere was nowhere to be found. He assumed Zelina Vega was staying out of the line of fire in her office, although he couldn't see in there from his end of the main room.

"Morning," he said to the group.

Greetings came back his way, but there was no banter along with them. Erin would probably be glad when she walked in, he imagined. Laughing and joking wouldn't have impressed her at all, not today.

"Haven't been looking forward to today," Purrazzo said to him quietly after he sat down.

"Get through it. Take whatever Sergeant Lindsay has to say to you, and move on. I know you got harsher treatment in the marines, so this will be a breeze by comparison."