Chapter 18: Figured Out Already

Start from the beginning

My face muscles stretched out into a completely involuntary expression of my pure joy at his presence. No wonder, it had been almost a full nine hours since I last saw him.

It felt like about nine years.

How in the world was I going to manage if he had to go somewhere else on royal business for a few days?

People said it got easier with time, but that seemed a bit like saying mountain climbing would be easier next year due to erosion. Negligible.

"Good morning," he said. His pleasure at my appearance was obvious, although I had done little more than straighten my hair a bit and pull on a robe.

Mate bonds had a definite upside. I could probably fall in a sewer and he would still think me attractive and vice versa. Mate coloured glasses for the win.

I returned the greeting as I walked forward and got myself a glass of water.

"So what are we going to do today?" I asked.

"I'm afraid I failed to completely clear the schedule for the day. The royal clothier claims you need a final fitting and my mother insists we practice dancing, although I convinced her to let us practice alone."

"That's not too bad." I could do dancing with just him since he was the only good part of the practice.

"Glad you feel that way. Is there anything you want to do today, Anne?"

I considered the question. I had already seen so much in the capital and done so many things that I felt like I had no energy to do anything else.

"Could we, mostly, just stay here and find something to do? Maybe just a bit of time to, you know, let everything settle in my mind? I don't really want to spend time with anyone but you."

If possible, he looked even more satisfied than I had seen him look before. He looked good wrapped in satisfaction. The way he held himself with his relaxed confidence, the flow of his muscles as he moved just doing regular things...

I slipped my hand along my chin surreptitiously and was pleased to find there was no wayward drool dripping down. That would be horribly embarrassing.

"Sure. Whatever you want," he agreed. There was already a tray of breakfast pastries on the counter and I selected one as I followed Arthur to the couch. I sat down and he pulled me closer to him, as if an inch of space was far too much between us.

I revelled in the little signs that he was as ridiculously obsessed with me as I was with him.

After we finished breakfast, we both retreated to our rooms to get ready for the day.

Around the time I came out of the shower, Velda came into the room with a smile. "Ready to get ready?"

I smiled back. I was going to have a proper day with my mate.

"Yes, please, although we're just going to largely have a relaxing day today."

Velda helped me get ready, as if I had not been managing to get myself ready since I was about five years old.

I supposed it was technically delegating. I was going to have a very busy life so it made sense to let other people take care of some of my needs. I resolved to ensure that I still would do certain things so that I would not completely lose my life skills. I wanted to stay grounded, I did not want to lose touch with what it was like to be an average person.

When Velda was done with me I looked very casually nice, which was just great. I wore comfy leggings and a loose fitting shirt and it felt really good to just be like I had always been. I hoped Arthur would not mind and I imagined he would not. I had not been dressed up when we had found each other and he had still liked me quite a lot then.