Draco paused for only a moment, a slight grimace breaking his blank expression. "Hero status, of course."

I shook my head as I took a step towards him. "I don't believe you, Draco." I stopped when I was standing directly in front of him, a mere few inches away. "What I do believe is that you're a good person with a good heart, who tries too hard to come off as though you're nothing but bad."

Draco's jaw clenched. He stared down at me, trying to keep his expression guarded. "Maybe I am just bad, Ambrose." His voice was low, sending a shiver through my spine.

I narrowed my eyes challengingly. "What benefit did you have in helping me last night? Allowing me to sleep in your room."

Draco clicked his tongue. "You're far more cranky when you're sleep deprived. Frankly, I was doing everyone a favour."

I laughed as I stepped away from him and headed to the door. "It's actually pathetic what a terrible liar you are." I reiterated the same words he once said to me.

He pulled his lips into a straight line, almost glaring. "I'm not. Good or lying."

I glanced at him over my shoulder just before opening the door. I cracked a small smile. "You can't hide the nature of your heart, Draco."

-

"As you know, in this class we are to learn how to defend oneself against aspects of the Dark Arts. Last time we spoke of the Imperius Curse. Today you will be learning how one can resist it."

I sunk down in my chair as I watched Snape whirl his wand in the air, every student's textbook flipping open to the pages focused on the Imperius Curse.

Hermione hesitated as she raised her hand. "I didn't think-well, how is it possible to resist one of the Unforgivable Curses?"

Snape stared at her flatly. "If you allow me to continue my lesson without interruptions, Miss Granger, perhaps you'll find out."

Hermione grimaced as she slid further down in her seat.

Snape cleared his throat before continuing. "The Imperius Curse places the victim under the caster's control but-what makes this Curse unique is that it can be resisted with exceptional strength."

"Can you resist other curses?" I sat up in my chair.

"Miss Ambrose," Snape snapped his hard gaze towards me, scowling; not impressed that I was interrupting. "I see you don't have the ability to raise your hand."

"Say-the Cruciatus Curse," I continued. "Is there a way to also resist that curse?"

The room fell silent as everyone's attention zeroed in on me. I could feel the numerous eyes burning into my skin as everyone stared.

My hands trembled in my lap, under the desk. I clenched and unclenched my fists, willing the shaking to stop.

Snape pressed his lips together, his robe flying in the air behind him as he rounded his desk to stand in front of it.

His gaze on me-it wasn't remotely cold. Impassive, but not cold.

Snape paused for a long moment. "There is no spell that can defend against it, however, there are evasive options against the Cruciatus Curse."

I leaned forward on my desk, ignoring my body lightly twitching. "Like what?"

A scream escaped my throat as I withered out on the ground, my body shrinking into a ball. The effect from the Crucio was mind-numbingly painful. The pain went on and on, never ending, until I eventually felt like my entire body would detonate into liquid matter from the pain. Death would be easier. I want to die. My body was withering on the concrete, my screams sounded in the room, the sound horrid.