"Oh my god!!  This is incredible, Alice! Brian is a good dude. He and my dad have been buddies for years so he will be great to work for. Definitely someone I'd trust.  I had no idea that's the job you came here for!!  He just told my dad last week he had someone on the way that got the highest grades he's seen in years on her testing so he was really excited to get her on the team."

I smiled, wiping my eyes again and now blushing at the compliment.  "I can't believe it. We've spent the last six years just scraping and struggling and trying and now, like... maybe...."

"Maybe things will be okay?" Jesse smiled warmly and completed my sentence.

"Yeah."  The relief in my voice was evident but I continued, "Well, let's not share this with Benji for now if you don't mind.  I'll tell him when he asks, I just think right this minute we have a ton going on so knowing it's handled makes me feel better and he'll find out soon enough that all is well.  Plus he kind of enjoys the Norco he's on and I don't think he'd get it anyway."

My laughter echoed through the room as Jesse positioned the wheelchair and assisted my move into the seat. Jesse replied, "Yeah, your baby bro is gonna need to be cut off, isn't he?"

"If we can prevent bathtub moonshine I think he can be saved."

Benji and Doctor Edwards were reviewing samples of cast pattern and color choices when we entered, debating whether to stick with Braves colors or whether he should go a different direction. She listened intently as he reasoned that red and blue is classic but also feels kind of cheesy. Benji could be a chatterbox and had a willing audience that was awaiting his decision with rapt attention.

"Doc Edwards? Maybe I do want to go with the camo. I mean, it would be a funny prank to pull on people."

"Camo jokes are always funny," she agreed soundly with a nod while offering him the camouflage sample.  He studied it closely and laid it over the white bandages on his left arm just like he would try on any piece of clothing.  

Jesse and I shared a look with Doctor Edwards, each of us smiling before I spoke up. "Hey, Beep Beep. So, what's the choice?"

He grinned, "I'm going camo! Now my arm will be like Harry Potter every time he wears his Invisibility Cloak.  I can steal cookies from you and you won't be able to tell.  Maybe I can even learn true slight of hand MAGIC!"  When he said the word "magic," Benji's eyes lit up and he wiggled his fingers for dramatic effect.

We laughed at his excitement and chatted about school and the town while the Doctor got his cast applied. She filled answered Benji's questions about the high school and their sport teams, letting slip that her daughter Daisy was trying out for cheerleading but only because she felt like she had to.  Daisy had just turned thirteen and was in middle school still but was nervous about everything since she struggled with learning.

"She doesn't know many kids and can be really shy..." I caught Doctor Edwards' eye and we shared a smile.

I see what you're doing, Doc.... your little girl and my little bro... I see you...

Benji's eyes lit up, "Well, I don't know anyone at all!"  His innocence made my heart melt and the fact that Jesse's hand went to his heart told me he had the exact same reaction.

She smiled, "Maybe I'll see if my Daisy can stop by while you're in here so you two can meet. Then at least you'll have one familiar face at school."

"That would be awesome! Does she like video games?"

"Nintendo Switch, of course.  She regularly schools me at Mario Kart."

Benji grinned, "Maybe she could bring her switch and we could Create a Room to play against each other!" He looked toward me and shyly asked, "Is that okay, Lissy?"