Chapter 13: Connected

The fighting didn't last long since the men didn't bring many fighters. My mind was still on the fact that the girl who went missing was right here in my face. The three of us, Jessica, Ashley, and I, are all sitting in a room now that the pack is calm. Mitchelle was mind-linking me, ensuring I was fine being alone with her. Oddly I still trust her even though she has some explaining to do. 

"Me coming here is not a coincidence. I needed to see you and warn you about what's coming."

"Warn me?" I ask, sitting up in the chair across from her.

"Yes, warn you. Kimberly, we are connected not by blood but by duty."

"What are you saying, Jessica?"

"My father was Luther Adnos," she says proudly.

Ashley and I look at each other when she says his name. Luther Adnos is the king of vampires. "He and your father, Alpha Kenor,  were the first to make a real peace treaty between werewolves, vampires, and witches. After I ran away, I discovered so much about myself and you."

"Wait, you ran away? We thought someone took you."

"The head lady Ms. Wells had this journal in her desk drawer." Jessica hands me the journal, and I open it as she continues. "When I found out, she knew more about us than she said. I had to figure out who I was. In case there was danger, I wanted to do it alone." The notebook had information about all of our parents. They were all connected. When I stop on Ashley's page, I hand her the book.  

"Kimberly, our parents were trying to stop a war many had no idea was happening." She pulls out a few books from her bag. "I stole these so that you would be able to read them. I was able to write down every detail I learned. Your father and mother planned to use your power to end the war, and my family would be there for protection. My father agreed to aid in whatever your father needed to stop everything. Listed in the book is a spell that requires vampire blood."

"What is the spell for?" I ask.

"I don't know if you have encountered the creatures yet, but they are fast and strong. Some have a black aura around them, and they smell horrid. The spell can take the poison out of them so they won't have the strength anymore," She told me to read the books since it was too much to explain, and then I would know what to do next. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," I admit. 

"My parents aren't listed as dead in this notebook," Ashley says, flipping through the pages. 

"Though I could not find solid proof, I don't think everyone died. There may be a possibility that your parents are still alive. There are a few names that don't say deceased."  

"Just so we all have this straight. After you found this journal that lists information about our parents, you left. When you ran away, you discovered our parents were trying to stop a war. We're unsure who is trying to start the war, but you know this person is responsible for their murders. You also found a spell that was being  used to stop the war, and the both of us are key ingredients to making that happen." Nodding her head, she stands up. "How did you know to find me here?"

"There's a place called the underground with vampires, werewolves, witches, and humans that are a part of the team our parents set up. The young and the older people all want to stop what is coming. A few days ago, we heard that a werewolf threw a man thirty feet into a tree with magical power. We decided to investigate, and I was sure it was you. I'm glad that it is. I should be getting back to the group since it's getting late. Maybe tomorrow you can meet them?"

Since I trusted Jessica, I agreed to meet them as we walked her to the door. Mitchelle and David met us at the front door to tell her goodbye. She disappeared into the woods as the three of us stood watching the space where she was standing.

"If you don't trust her, you can tell us," David said, looking at me.

"The thing is, I do trust her. Something in me believes her." Mitchelle grabbed my hand, and I looked up at him.

"As long as you're sure, we will follow you. I also still put extra fighters at the border to be safe."

"I'm going to read the books she left behind," I said, walking away. Ashley was walking behind me, and I could feel she also believed Jessica. When we got to the room, she picked up a book, and we sat silent, taking everything in. Ashley and Jessica only met briefly before Jessica ran away, but she was a brutally honest child. Her honesty got her in trouble at times, but that never stopped her. That's what made me so sure of her even with this time of not seeing her.