Chapter 11: Kimberly

My head was thumping, and I still felt the energy surging through my body, but I couldn't breathe. "Breathe." My wolf kept repeating in my head. It was hard to catch my breath, but I was trying to focus. The air blowing beside me let me know I wasn't alone, and I felt Mitchelle touch my shoulders.

"Baby look at me, breathe." Taking one of his hands, he rubs down my back, telling me to imitate his breathing pattern. After a few minutes, I calm down but then the emotions overflow. "Talk to me. What did you see?"

"Everyone was dead except for David and I." I know I wasn't making any sense, but everything kept flashing in my head. Mitchelle was confused, so I took a deep breath and gave myself a moment to get it together.

"When I touched David's wound to heal him, I saw the image of a little boy holding a baby. At first, I didn't know who it was then; the lady called his name. She told him to hide after she took the baby out of her arms. I've seen the lady before; it was Natalia. She changed my diaper and told me to stop crying so; the bad guys don't hear us. David didn't want to be alone, so he came anyway, and the hallways and front of the house had nothing but dead bodies. When Natalia runs deeper into the woods, she finds a woman and man lying in the grass. The man is dead, but the woman is choking on her blood. When she kneels to talk to the lady, she starts crying, saying she couldn't  care for two kids and begging for her sister to live."

"You think the baby in the vision is you?" Mitchelle asks.

"The bracelet that Natalia takes off the woman is the one I have in my jewelry box, and the child's blanket has my name stitched in it. I'm sure I'm the baby, and David is the little boy." I described how I felt connected to David, and Natalia called him my brother in the vision. To say I was overwhelmed was an understatement the tears just kept falling. 

"Come here." Mitchelle pulled me into his arms, soothing me as I cried. One hand reaches into his pocket, and he pulls out his phone. "I need you to get Natalia here now. When she arrives, take her to my father's office." We head back to the pack house and the Alpha's office. His father, Carter, and his mother, Elizabeth, were sitting there as a warrior brung Natalia into the room.

"The three of you know something about my mate, and I need you to tell us now." Mitchelle was using his Alpha tone to make them answer. The three of them look at each other, making me upset because of the silence. "Can somebody say something?" My wolf was tense, but I was upset. 

"Your father was an Alpha." Alpha Carter said, breaking the silence. "He was powerful, and so was your mother, but there was a problem when people learned about your mother's abilities. She wasn't just a wolf but also a witch who was more powerful than a full-blooded witch."

"She was my sister," Natalia interjected. Her head was hung, but the emotion was present. "Her only request was for me to protect you, so I forbid Alpha Carter and Luna Elizabeth from telling you."

"We only agreed because the person after your mother and father was never found. We didn't mean to lie but agreed it would be better if you didn't know." Alpha Carter said. 

"Better for who?" Now my wolf was pissed off, pushing her way forward. "All my life, I felt like I had no place; even though you welcomed me, Alpha Carter, this was not my home. My heart felt it every day." Mitchelle reached over and placed his hand on my back, but this time I moved away. "What happened to them?".

"When you were still a baby, a man discovered you were both a werewolf and a witch. He took his time to study your mother and realized that both of you were useful to him. We don't know exactly what he wanted to do with you, but over a month, he had attacked the pack multiple times." Natalia takes a breath grabbing a tissue off of the table. "One day, he poisoned the water causing many people to get sick, and while we were distracted, rogue wolves came onto the pack and attacked us. Your mother and father were both very ill, so they were no match for him. As powerful as they were, he purposely put something in the water that weakened them."

"Was it wolf's bane?" I ask.

"No, wolfsbane is not how people think. For a normal wolf, it will make them sick and can kill them, but for strong wolves, wolfsbane is like the flu. This was a poison that was killing them from the inside out. Making them slower and easier to target."

"Why would this man kill my mother if she was so strong and he needed us?"

"We believe that someone betrayed your parents and told this man just how powerful you were, but we could never confirm that." Mitchelle's mother looked over to Natalia; the look could appear innocent, but I trusted my wolf.

"What is that look?" I ask.

"Your mother and I had a brother named Alex who went missing the same night. I could never see my brother as a traitor, but there is no other explanation for his disappearance that night. I was the one that got you and David out of there that night and changed your last names. The entire pack burned that night, so I had to do anything to keep you both safe. Since he most likely knew the two of you would be together, splitting you up was the only option."Natalia stood up and came over to where I was standing. "Kimberly, I'm so sorry for keeping this from you. I know Alpha and Luna are too. There is so much evil out there we never wanted you or David to face."

She was sorry, and I could tell by the tone of her voice, but it wasn't enough for me. It wasn't enough for the girl that felt like a piece of her was always missing. Politely I excused myself, saying I was going to bed, but I walked to the backyard and sat by the fire pit.

I could feel Mitchelle approaching, and when he did, he moved a chair next to me and sat down. He kisses my hand before gently turning my face to look at him.

"Whatever it is, no matter how good or bad, remember that you always have me." Leaning my head on his shoulder, we sit here for a while before we head to his room.