24

[ olivia's perspective ]

...it couldn't be true, i must be seeing things, "Olivia who is it?" Dad asks as he walks to my side and just like my reaction he looked like he saw a ghost, "olivia.." xavier says as he takes a step closer, "no no, you're dead, you're supposed to be dead" was all I said as I tried so hard to control my emotions, the tears kept on flowing down as i refused to believe that he was really here, is this dad's form of gift? Giving me a hologram of my supposedly dead brother? Then i looked to dad and he seemed to be unaware of this as well, "but I'm not, I'm very much alive" xavier says as he pinches himself to prove to me that he isn't lying, "so... so, all these years? All these years I thought you were dead, you were alive?" I felt betrayed i felt upset, "don't you remember that i was your baby girl andd all those times - why did you lie" I continued as more tears began to pour out, "there are something's i just can't tell you, but i am sorry that i didn't come to you sooner, hell I'm sorry for the pain I've caused" he says, "faking your death wow" I said as the tears began to dry, "hey i think it's time for you to go" dad says as he puts a hand on my shoulder, "no, not after i spent the entire day on airplanes" he says defending himself, "what would you like to do?" Dad asks me, i just wanted a good birthday... and somehow this is far from a perfect birthday, "he can sleep in the guest bedroom" was all I said before i turned on a dime and ran up the stairs closing my door hard to let them all know how upset i am.

[ xavier's perspective ]

the look on my baby sister's face when I showed up made me feel more guilt than i already felt, being at the doorstep of her new family's home made me hurt internally, at least she had a good life or i hope, i exhaled and tried to control my emotions and my actions, as the door opened revealing my baby sister, my heart ached so much, she had grown into such a fine young lady, it felt like it was just yesterday when i chased her around to get her in the bathtub or when i read her a bedtime story, I'd be the same finding out that my brother who was supposed to be dead is very much alive and breathing.i felt slightly happy that she allowed me to stay in the guest bedroom

it was better than being chased away, as she ran up those stairs flashbacks of when she was a toddler came back resurfacing in my mind, "so you are xavier" the older gentlemen says as he closes the door and lets me in the house, "yes" i said giving off the same aura he was giving me, "why do you show up of all times?" He questions, "she is my sister do i not have the right to see her?" I questioned a bit offended, "if she is your sister, then how come you didn't want to see her sooner?" He continues to interrogate me, "personal reasons that has nothing to do with you" i said a bit short, "do you realize how much pain you are giving her since you've showed up?" The older gentlemen says, "if you think you are helping her, you're just causing her more pain, i think me and you both can come to a mutual understanding that it would be better if you continued to fake your death and never appear in her life right when she was at the verge of recovering" the older man continues, I never felt so much hate for a single person, i directed all my anger towards my problem, "i understand my mistake, but starting now, i will be in her life" i say, it'd be easy to win her trust after all I'm her older brother right? She'll definitely come back to me.

oh how wrong was i, it had only been the fifth day and she kept on keeping her distance, each time I offered to drop her off to school or even asked if she wanted to go shopping her replies were always; 'can't im busy' how can a 14 year old be so busy that they can't even spend time with their own dear brother.

i kept trying, because I knew if I gave up now, then she would only get hurt more, the older gentleman I finally learned the name to, Alex, he had been out of the house to run a few errands so I was left at the house, then the door opened and my baby sister walked into the house first by taking off her shoes before throwing her backpack to who knows where, "how was school?" i asked as i stood up from sitting on the living room couch, "uh it was good.." she responds still with the same nervousness and distant to her voice, "what did you do?" i continued I really wanted to have some sort of bonding moment, "I have a soccer practice," she says heading towards the kitchen, so I followed, "what time? do you have a ride?" I questioned as I casually leaned against the counter as she was fixing herself some glass of water, "around 3:30pm and it ends at 5:00pm" she retorts as she takes a sip of her water, "ah, would you like-" before I was able to finish my question, she responded quickly and said, 'no' my heart felt like it just got stabbed at the rejection, "alright.. well, have a good practice." I said trying my best not to sound disappointed or sad. "yeah thanks" was all she said before she disappeared up the stairs.