Chapter 8: Another Crazy Day

"SHIT!! How many minutes left?"

"23 minutes".

"Keep talking to him. The bomb squad is on the way."

"He doesn't look good. He needs his medication or his heart will fail him."

"Wang! I can't get his meds now. Just, just—-get him to do deep breathing or something! Give him a sweet! I will evacuate the students first." She said, as she was descending the stairs.

"Wang Yi Bo told him if his heart stops, the bomb will explode."

"What??!!" She stopped in her tracks. A rhythmic bomb timer.

"Shen. Either way, we need to get his meds. He blows up, we are gone." Didi started to sound desperate.

"Can we remove him?"

"SHEN!! HE IS HUNG UP MID-AIR WITH A TIME BOMB!! CAN YOU FUCKING GET HIS MEDS??!!!"

Yue pulled her phone away, shocked. He must be in distress.

"Where is it?"

"In his car. Just behind the hall. Quickly, Shen!! I'm going to try to bring him down."

She started to run. She forgot to end the call when she heard him said "I'm sorry I shouted at you." Somehow it made her smiled.

When she arrived at backstage, she gasped. What kind of animal would do this to his own professor? She felt sick in her stomach.

The man was suspended at least 8 feet above ground, with a bag strapped on him.

She scanned the area. Any movements might trigger the bomb.

"Wang, don't do anything."

"We can't just stand here and wait for the bomb to go off. "

"There might be an invisible wire that detect movement that will either quicken the timer or set the bomb off right away. I just had to be sure." She said, her eyes on the professor.

"Prof Yan! I'm Officer Shen! Can you hear me?!"

The man nodded his head weakly.

"We'll get you down. Can you focus on deep breathing? And don't look down." She took out her laser pen and started to shine it around. Nothing suspicious.

"Shen, we are running out of time!"

She nodded but the uneasy feeling in her did not go away. This seemed too easy. Prof Yan was tied up with a normal rope but the wire used to heave him above ground was the ones used in the theatre set-up.

"Wang Yi Bo really went great lengths to set this up. Like a show." She commented, thoughtfully.

Like a show. Spectacular.

"WAIT!!!" Yue shouted as Didi was lowering Prof Yan.

"What now? I can't hold on to him much longer."

"There might be another bomb. What he have on him is a distraction." She said.

Didi glanced at his watch. "You look for the second bomb and I will bring him down first. I need to save this man."

When Prof Yan arrived on the ground, they placed him by the pillar. The color on his cheeks came back as Didi gave him his meds.

Yue scrutinized the bomb on his chest.

11 minutes.

"What do we do now? The bomb squad is not here yet."

Yue caught his eyes and smiled. "We save the day. With what we have." She had found a tool box in Prof Yan's car and thought it might be handy.