Chapter 2: Safe At Last

"Let me send you home," he offered. She nodded quietly. The bombing incident really shocked them, even himself. Yue looked extremely solemn.

*flashback*

30 seconds.

Didi put his cutter on the yellow wire. Then, he hesitated. He moved to the purple one and back to the yellow wire. His hand trembled. Yue saw it.

"Yue?"

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be."

"I should have listened to you."

"It doesn't matter. I shouldn't have judged you."

"No offense taken."

"Didi?"

"Yes?"

"I trust you.....I trust you with my life."

They both looked at each other, in silent understanding. His hand moved to the purple wire......

Suddenly, it was pitch black.

They cut the electricity of the building.

"Can you see?" Yue shouted, panicking. 10 seconds left.

"Yue, just in case we don't make it." He held his breath, his hand finally steady, as he looked at her. "I think you are one hell of a woman."

He cut the purple wire and both of them squeezed their eyes shut, waiting for the bomb to go off.

But nothing happened.

Didi opened his eyes and saw the timer had stopped. "WE DID IT, YUE!!! WE ARE SAVED!"

Her lips trembled with joy as her teary eyes sliced through his heart. He embraced her tightly. He vowed never to let her out of his sight again.

They drove in silence with her looking out of the window all the time. Didi allowed her to be quiet.

Sometimes in their line of work, they need not say much. He understood.

There were so many near death moments for him too. But the fact that she saw how her ex-partner got killed was something he had yet to experience.

"I will stay here with you, Yue." He said when they entered her apartment.

It was a 2-bedroom apartment, with everything she needed living on her own. It was neat. Just as he thought. Her personality won't let her otherwise.

"No, Officer Wang. Please go back and rest. It's been a long day for you too."

"Please. At least let me leave when you are asleep."

She smiled. "Are you trying to be a hero again? I will be fine. This is not my first."

"I insist. We can drink to celebrate."

They knew it would be a short-lived one. Wang Yi Bo likely had an accomplice. He would come back to revenge.

Yue had no strength to argue. Maybe it was not a bad idea. It would be nice to have company tonight. For a change.

"Help yourself with anything in the kitchen. Oh, do you have extra clothes? You can shower in the next bathroom."

He always had an overnight bag in his car, ready for unexpected events.

When he came out of shower, Yue was already done. She was in the kitchen with a towel around her head and she was trying to open a wine bottle.