Chapter 10: The Game

42 hours later...

There was huge frenzy at the station. In the past few hours, they had been receiving multiple calls from the public, who reported suspicious packages that looked like bombs.

There were also a few false alarms of people calling in saying they saw Wang Yi Bo. Yue thought releasing information of the unsub to the media would possibly exposed his whereabouts.

However, they underestimated that the unsub was also having an upper hand in misleading the police.

"He is playing us like clowns!" Yu Zheng commented, after the third fake bomb was found.

Didi's tightened his lips. "I'm gonna get him. No matter how smart he is, he will make a mistake."

Yue entered the room, as the boys were talking. "Our satellite intel ran a facial recognition during lunch hour yesterday and spotted Wang Yi Bo near the district buildings. My hunch is he would plant a bomb at a location with authority. It could be one of the state admin buildings."

Peng stood up. "What should we do, boss?"

"We let the bomb squad go ahead with the bomb detector in that area. We move in once anything suspicious is found."

Didi shook his head. "Sounds too easy. I still think he will target the place where he grew up."

"I know what you are thinking of, Didi. But this time, the profile is right. His focus is in central district."

"What if you were wrong?"

Yue stared at him for the longest time. "Then, I will resign from my job."

Didi pursed his lips, not expecting this kind of answer from her. It took her a lot of guts to say it. He hated to admit it but his respect for her was growing.

"You don't need to, Shen. But we are dealing with a maniac. We need to explore all options."

The boys seemed to agree with Didi, and Yue saw his point. "You and Yu Zheng, can cover that area, while Peng and I will standby here for the district admin area."

A phone call came in. Peng looked distraught. "Another suspicious package just arrived at the Municipal Office. And they saw a man who looked like Wang Yi Bo in the vicinity."

The boys were ready to go. "I think we got him!"

As they were about to exit the office, Yue called out to Didi. "Do not engage in a conversation with him. Do not let him see that you fear him."

"I'm not afraid of him, Shen. I just wanna smash his face!"

"Do not let him provoke you. He enjoys it when he sees you getting all worked up for him. Take control of the situation. Let the bomb squad do their job. Do you hear me, Officer Wang?" Yue almost shouted at the end.

I won't be there to save your sorry ass.

"Come back in one piece."

Her final words made his heart thumped as he nodded. He took a few strides towards her, catching her by surprise when he held her shoulders. "When this is over, there is something I need you to know."

Her heart almost jumped out.

What does he want to tell me? Is he—-?

"Please get some rest. We need your brain power." He smiled and squeezed her shoulders before turning on his heels.

Yue feared for the worst. She took her jacket and headed out.

She got into the lift to the basement carpark, where she left her overnight bag in the car. She had slept in her office and had not showered in the last 2 days. She thought at least she could get a change of new clothes.