"It's not the same as working with your partner. Although when you think about it, you worked with Ruze longer than you did with me."

"Hey, that's true!" Purrazzo grinned at the realisation. "Maybe I'll stick with him after all."

"How serious was it today?" Brett asked. She sounded concerned, but Halstead didn't know what she was asking about. His blank face drew Purrazzo into responding.

"I told Sylvie about my screw up today, Jay. Thought Sergeant Lindsay was going to fire me, let alone accept my resignation. Came as a great surprise when she said I was staying on the team."

"Was it that serious though?" Brett asked again. "Surely rookies are allowed a mistake or two."

"They are," Halstead conceded, looking at his partner. "But today's was a massive one, and a needless one. I'm not going to sugar coat it, a lot of sergeants would have let you go today. I think it's safe to say you're in last chance territory."

"I know," Purrazzo sighed. "I'm not going to screw up again. I'm aware how lucky I was to get this opportunity."

"That's good to know," Brett said. She finished her beer and put the bottle on the bar. "Bathroom," she announced, and walked off.

"Heard you did well on the drug dealer murder you just solved," Halstead said to Purrazzo.

"I'd like to think so. Got the intel out of a hooker called Alexa Bliss. She didn't really like giving it up, but she did."

"Good work. I'm sure Sergeant Lindsay will note it when she reads the reports."

"Does it feel weird calling her Sergeant Lindsay when you guys are, well, you know..."

Halstead figured his relationship with Erin was hardly a secret from anyone at the 21st by now, so it was time to accept the fact and roll with the punches. "Yes, it is weird. It's something I struggled with for a while, but I'm over it now. Actually, I'm pretty much used to it at this point. Since we're on personal questions, are you dating Kevin?"

Purrazzo rolled her eyes. "Honestly, I thought I worked with detectives. For now, I'm telling you this as my partner, so keep your mouth shut. Kevin and I are friends. Good friends. I'm dating Sylvie."

"You're dating... Oh," Halstead said, failing to hide his surprise. "I didn't know you were into women. I didn't know Sylvie was into women."

"Neither did she until she met me," Purrazzo said with a mischievous smile.

"That's seriously hot," he said.

"Men," she grumbled in good humour. "Another beer?"

"Yeah, but I'll get them. I'll get one for Sylvie too."

Halstead ordered the drinks from Stella Kidd, who was working the bar. She was one of the owners of Molly's, and also worked for the Fire Department. From there and from the bar, they knew each other in passing.

"How are you, Jay?" Kidd asked while she worked on opening the three beer bottles. "Haven't seen you or Erin in here for ages."

"We were undercover," Halstead said. For obvious reasons he couldn't be any more elaborate.

"Ah, good result, I hope?"

"Not really, hence the beers," he said with a friendly smile as he took the beers. The cost would be added to his tab. "Thanks, Stella."

He spent a while talking with Brett and Purrazzo, not bringing up their budding relationship. Now that he knew about it, he could see it in the way they looked at each other. He wondered if anyone else from Intelligence had noticed it yet.

The conversation was interrupted when Lindsay came over to them. "I'm calling it a night. I'll see you in the morning, ideally without hangovers."

"Yes, ma'am," Purrazzo said, grinning at the joke.

"I'll walk you to your car," Halstead said.

"I don't need you to do that," Lindsay said, although she did sound appreciative of the offer.

"Maybe not, but there's a chance, even if it's a small one, that Martinez and the others who escaped might be out there intent on revenge. So I'm walking you to your car."

"Okay then," Lindsay conceded.

"Hold this for me," Halstead said, giving his bottle to Purrazzo. With that, he accompanied Lindsay out into the street.

"I'm going to see Hank, Jay," Erin said as they walked to her car. "I missed him, and I know he's going to want to know I'm no longer under."

And you want to talk to him about your ongoing man management problems, Jay read between the lines. Out of respect for his girlfriend, for that was what she was in that moment, he didn't mention it.

"He'll be glad to see you, Er. You should have him come by the office some time. I'm sure everyone would like that."

"Hank might light that too. I'll suggest it to him."

Her car wasn't parked far from Molly's. As they approached it, Halstead looked around for any sign of trouble or someone waiting to follow her. He could see nothing, but that didn't mean nobody was there.

"Thanks for walking me out, Jay. I'll see you in the morning, okay?"

"Okay. Keep an eye out for anything suspicious, just in case. Goodnight." He leaned down slightly and they kissed each other on the lips. Her perfume made him want more, but it wouldn't be happening on this night.

"Goodnight, Jay. You keep an eye out too. And don't get too drunk."

"Yes, boss," he replied, and they both laughed.

Halstead stood there while she got into the car, and watched her drive away. No other cars followed her.

One more beer then I'll hit the road, he thought, heading back to Molly's. When he walked in, he saw Ruzek and Burgess still standing together in conversation. Purrazzo and Brett were chatting away, as were Atwater and Olinsky at the far end of the bar.

First, Halstead retrieved his beer from Purrazzo, then he went over to Burgess and Ruzek.

"Hey," Burgess smiled. "We're going to take off soon. Got to get back to Alex. My mom has already stayed for longer than she wanted to today."

"Come back with us if you like," Ruzek offered. "We can put the little guy to bed then have a few more drinks and get some food in."

"It would be good to have you over," Burgess said.

"Alright, sounds good," he decided. "We'll finish these drinks and head out if you like."

"Sounds good," Burgess said.

"It was nice to see you guys talking to Erin. Wasn't sure those bridges would ever be rebuilt."

"Neither was I, but I'm happy to give it a chance," she said. "I never wanted to lose her as a friend in the first place."

Ruzek laughed. "Let's see how we feel tomorrow when we go through round two over today's mess."

"That's different, that's Erin doing her job," Halstead said. It struck him as ironic that it was now him pointing that out to other people.

A/N: Things seem to be looking up a bit on the personal side of things. But will there still be fallout to come from the blown Martinez operation?