Chapter Forty-Eight

Ahsoka's eye's burned from the smoke in the air. It took a minute for her to remember what happened. She didn't recall being on the battlefield. She slowly tried to stand up on wobbly legs. There was destruction all around her. The floors creaked at her movement. She knew her lightsaber was lost to the debris. Ahsoka placed a hand on her aching head, she had to free Rex-

" Rex!" she exclaimed, everything coming back to her all at once. Her heart was beating faster, remembering that Rex had saved her from the worst of the blast, now she didn't know where he was.

" Rex!" she called out again in a hoarse voice. " Ah!" the minute she put pressure on her leg, a jolt of pain went through her body. She didn't even realize that she had landed on it wrong before getting up. It felt worse than many previous injuries she's had in a long time.

" Ugh, stupid leg." Ahsoka muttered angrily under her breath as she forced herself to trudge through the collapsed ruins.

     Rex turned to his side. His ribs were hurting, making it twice as hard to breathe with the soot in the atmosphere. His helmet was missing, which he guessed was knocked off his head.

" Ahsoka?" he had tried to get her out of the way of the explosion, but they must have been separated. He only hoped that she was okay.

He hastily got up and maneuvered his way around. It dark and hazy. He could feel that the tunnels weren't going to be up for much longer.

He cupped his hands around his mouth in an attempt to be heard. " AHSOKA!"

     Ahsoka's head snapped up when she heard the sound of her d'bhem calling her name.

" Rex!" she moved towards his voice's echo, going as fast as she could. She finally saw the familiar blue armor through the grey.

Rex ran over to her. He looked uninjured from as far as she could tell, which brought her comfort. He embraced her gently, making her feel relieved and protected.

" Are you hurt?" he asked pulling away, not wanting to have accidentally hurt her more if she was.

" My leg's damaged, but nothing I can't handle." she grimaced, although she knew she couldn't  pull that one on Rex. He gave her a raised eyebrow.

" Let me carry you." he offered, noticing her pained expression.

" I don't think that-" Ahsoka was about to protest, but Rex's pleading eyes cut her off. " Fine, but really, I can walk if-" Rex had already scooped her up in his arms, being careful not to touch her injured leg.

Ahsoka wrapped her arms around his neck. She couldn't think of the last time they were this close. Though the situation was bad, she couldn't help but like that it brought them together more.

" Where's the exit?" she asked as Rex walked farther down the path that was less covered with pieces of interior.

" I don't know, I just want to get us away from the-" the floor started to shift downward. Rex stopped moving immediately. Ahsoka clutched onto him tighter.

" Unstable part." he finished quietly.

Just as the words left his lips, the floor completely gave out. Rex, however, was able to grab one of the supporting bars that was stronger and firmly connected to the main hold. That pole was the only thing keeping them from plummeting into the vast crashing waters below.

The wind blew the rain sideways at the now exposed two. " I-I can't hold on much longer!" Rex cried as his fingers were slipping, while his other hand was keeping Ahsoka close to him.

Ahsoka looked down at the murky waters.

" Rex, let go!"

Rex stared down at her with wide eyes. " You want me to what!?" he adjusted his hold stronger the best he could.

" Let go. Rex, trust me!"

The Captain hesitated, but his arms were going to give out at any moment. He bit his lip as he lifted his fingers up, until they were no longer grasping the only thing keeping them from falling.