Chapter Forty-Two

" We've got a problem." Kix quietly shut the door. 

" What's going on out there?" Rex stumbled over to him with a worried expression on his face. 

Kix hushed him and scrambled around for something. " Ah, there it is." he held up the Jedi's weapon and clipped it to his belt.

" Whoa, Kix, where'd you get that." he eyed the lightsaber in the medic's hand. " Wait...isn't that Ahsoka's saber?" he exclaimed.

" Yeah, before she left she gave it to me. Though I should probably give it back to her." Kix peeked through the same gap again. " It's Krell. I don't see the general or the commander anywhere." 

" Alright Kix, I want you to get out of here and I'll-"

" You'll what Rex? Take Krell on yourself?! You're already injured. Even if I did let you do things your way, Krell would kill you on the spot." Kix yelled. 

" Fine! Then what do you want to do. We're trapped in here."  he looked back at the entrance in the ground. " Hold on, if Krell was able get out with coming through here first, then there must be another way out." 

Kix shook his head. " You're right. The Jedi can take on Krell for the meantime. We can find a way out and gather everyone to take back our home."

" What about the chips, they could be activated any moment if the tide starts flowing against them." Rex pointed out.

" Okay, you find try and find out more about Palpatine's plan and I'll ready everyone for battle." Kix tossed Rex his helmet then put on his own. " We don't have much time." he down the ladder with Rex following close after him.

Rex took lead navigating his way back through the tunnels until it came to a fork in the path. He recognized two of the three, which meant the last one probably was the other way out.

" I guess this is where we part." he placed a hand on his friend...one of his closest brother's shoulder. " Good luck Kix. Thanks for everything." 

" Be careful Rex, that's an order." 

Rex smirked. " Two orders in one day, did you become a commander while I was gone?" 

Kix couldn't help but roll his eyes. " Goodbye brother. I'll see you when all of this is over." he gave him one last look before running out of sight.

     The lights had turned off and the whole place went into lock down.

" What's going on here?" Anakin asked one of the troopers who was sprinting out of the building.

The clone stopped and addressed him. " I don't know, Sir. We're taking the standard safety precautions and closing everything off." he saluted, going back about his duties.

" Master, what about Rex?" Ahsoka pointed the way she had come. Anakin though for a moment. If Palpatine was still here, then they could defeat him once and for all as well as bring his captain back.

" Right, we'll find him and then arrest the Chancellor."

" We should split up, Cody and Ahsoka can go retrieve Rex and we can take Palpatine." Obi Wan suggested. Just then Anakin's comm started beeping.

" Hello?" he answered

" Anakin my boy. I need to talk to you right away. Wherever  you are, I need you back on Coruscant." Palpatine said then hung up as quickly as he called.

Anakin was numb. " I have to go?" he said to his Master.

" What, Anakin are you crazy? What part of evil Sithlord did you not understand?"

" Relax, he doesn't know I know. This is the opportunity for the element of surprise."

Obi Wan stroked his beard. " I suppose you're right. Get in contact with the council as soon as you land." 

Cody listened to his superiors. A green light from out of the corner of his eye caught his attention. He squinted at the far end of the hall to the center where another stood. " Umm, Sirs? We got trouble." 

The Jedi turned and saw the large Besalisk with his lightsabers ignited heading right towards them.

Obi Wan took his own saber out. " Looks like the plans have changed. Anakin continue back to Coruscant. Cody and I can take Krell while Ahsoka, you go find Kix and Rex." 

Anakin nodded. " May the force be with you Snips. Bring Rex back home safely." he gave Ahsoka a reassuring pat on the back and darted to the Twilight again.

Ahsoka hated how much time had gone by, but what she hated most was Krell. She reached for her sabers, but then remembered that she would only have one sense her other one was with Kix.

" Get ready Ahsoka. When I say run you run." her grandmaster ordered.

Krell jumped surprisingly jumped at her, but she moved out of the way. He seemed to only be interested in her. He would block Obi Wan and Cody, but would always strike at her.

" Padawan, I see you've brought some friends." he snarled, swinging his saber at her head.

" What have you done to Rex!" she yelled, while deflecting another attack.

" Ahsoka! Now!" she heard Obi Wan shout. There was now a clear space that she could escape to. Cody was keeping him distracted with firing multiple shots that he was forced to defend against. 

Ahsoka glared at him one last time, then took her chance. She ducked under his arms and scurried down the hall. She skidded to a stop outside the room that she had left Kix in. When she opened the door, she froze when the space was empty.