Part 5. Wipe Out

SURFERS SURFING AWAY, COUPLES STROLLING around in the sand, guys playing volleyball, lifeguard on duty, the smell of the water in the air catching my nose, and toes squished in the sand with my Ozzy shades covering my eyes. A word search, and David Lee Roth's Just Like Paradise playing in my ears with the lonely Earbud. So I could attempt to ignore Dini who was playing a Miley Cyrus song laying down on her stomach trying to tan.

Two teenage girls down the beach were singing along to the song Dini was playing.

I sighed as I laid back in the beach chair, squishing my toes down into the sand and closing my eyes, listening to music in one ear while hearing giggles, sounds of the beach, and birds in my other ear. I picked up my Margarita in my travel mug (out of respect for families) and took a swallow.

Now, this is what I call relaxing. But, of course, it never lasts when your cousin has a brother who is a complete moron.

A thud sounded beside us, we both scanned to see Doug and his two pals advancing our way carrying a cooler. Zeke had lost his grip on it and it landed on Doug's foot who was now hopping around on one foot letting curse words fly. I discovered a mother covering her kid's ears with her hands while glaring towards Doug.

I was trying so hard not to laugh.

Sawyer was carrying three folded up blue chairs, he had his hair pulled back showing off his hoop earrings in both ears; he wore black swim trunks and a gray shirt with the arms cut out. It showed off his muscles which caught my eyes.

Dini sighed as she put her head back down onto the towel and closed her eyes "Let me know when they leave," she mumbled, falling back into her relaxed state as the guys took over.

Sawyer smiled when he saw me, it was a childlike smile that made him seem childish as he sat down the three chairs he was holding and set them up for the guys to sit. Doug, however, caught a cold drink from the cooler and held it to Dini's back who screamed and sat up, making him laugh.

She was pissed, however. "Asshole" she hissed as she moved around onto her back and flipped her shades down to cover her eyes, "I'm trying to tan." She then put her arms behind her head, making me shake my head at her.

Doug chuckled, "And I am attempting to ruin it for you. Isn't that my job?" he asked, sitting down in a chair Sawyer had set up.

Dini huffed "Yeah, sadly you are doing a darned good job of it," she snapped impelling me and Zeke to snigger as he grabbed a drink and sat down afterward. Sawyer followed suit and I pulled my bathing suit cover up tighter before I opened up my word search I had been working on before they arrived.

Sometimes I wonder if I should move down here? It's so relaxing and peaceful to visit, but then again would it ruin it for me if I moved here? Would it not seem so relaxed and peaceful? Maybe I should look into the colleges down here and see if I could switch soon?

I tapped my pencil against the word search as the music switched to Summer Breeze by Seals & Croft.

Zeke noticed this and leaned over the arm of his chair to gaze over Dini at me.''What are you listening to?" he asked, taking a drink of the beer hidden by the Auburn Football can koozie he was holding.

"Seals and Croft. I constantly create a playlist for the summer." I answered as I circled an answer for a word search, I was on a subject of sports.

He nodded, "They had excellent songs. Do you listen to country summer music?" he asked, I slowly nodded my head as my eyes trailed over the page I was on.

"Kenny Chesney is always on my list. He and Rascal Flatts never had a song I didn't like."

Sawyer sat down in the chair between Zeke and Doug before glancing over at me. "Uncle Kracker has great songs for summer," he told me, giving me a look as if asking if Uncle Kracker was on my playlist.