Episode 7

"Rien n'est si dangereux qu'un ignorant ami; Mieux vaudrait un sage ennemi."

"Nothing is as Dangerous as an Ignorant Friend; A Wise Enemy is to be Preferred."

Fables by Jean de La Fontaine.

***

It was quiet in the classroom. We are watching something that supposedly we shouldn't watch. Yes. That person's past.

Even though I wanted to ask a lot of questions about it, I remained silent and watched it. White walls, white floor, white clothing. White... a color that symbolizes no emotion.

I know that he is a mysterious person but even I don't know what is going on. Not that I am dumb or stupid. I just don't know what that place is.

Is it a lab or such? Could he be a subject of experimentation? That may explain why he is much smarter and athletic.

But what struck me is his cold, dark eyes. Even at a young age, he has those same eyes. The same look I saw that day.

The day he said that I should not pry into his life.

I think I understand why. He doesn't want us to know about this. Maybe that's why he wishes for a normal school life. He wishes to forget all of this.

Amidst this, I realized that he may be similar to me in some aspect. But I don't think it's a lot. Although I know one thing we do have in common.

We don't understand human emotions and feelings.

In my case, in my many years of being alone, I wasn't able to experience such strong emotions and such. Although I do have strong determination to reach my brother.

Maybe that's a feeling? Or an emotion perhaps? That I don't know as well.

Although his case is much more serious than mine, I can relate to that. To his experience of such cold, loneliness. Only I do it on purpose, while he lived with it his entire life.

The human brain. Everything about it, from emotions to how they think, everything about being human is something a person will never truly master.

That I understand well now. The same words that Tanaguchi said to Ayanokoji. Upon this realization, I realized that me and Ayanokoji might be the smartest in the class, we are also the ones who don't understand emotions that well.

Maybe that's it. My reason why I was so keen to know about him more...

Ayanokoji, wait a min-

Kushida then stopped me from saying anything else. I asked why she did so.

Kushida: If you are trying to question him further, then don't try because I am sure he will not answer.

Is that true? Maybe it is but we will never know if we don't tr-

Kushida: Can't you read the atmosphere, Horikita-san?! Of course, I know he will not answer any of our questions! Why? Because we just saw a glimpse of what it seems to be his past, that's why!

The atmosphere? What does that supposed to mean? Ah, I see... this is what I am talking about.

Because I don't know much about emotions that I can't even read the situation of my surroundings.

Unlike me, Kushida of all people, knows better about what human emotions are. She knows what's going on in her surroundings, something that I can't do.