Episode 9

" L' homme est condamné à être libre. "

"Man is Condemned to be Free."

Being and Nothingness: An Essay on Phenomenological Ontology by Jean-Paul Sartre.

***

The first year students in the gymnasium are currently waiting for Hiroshi's return. By putting their chairs in a circle, there are different groups of people talking to each other.

Kushida: I think I saw that girl from the door earlier in one of the light novel covers.

Matsushita: I think so. And also, am I allowed to be in this group?

In a circle, there are Kushida, Horikita, Ayanokoji, Matsushita and Miyake talking to each other.

Horikita: It is fine. I was the one who invited you in here.

Matsushita: And what will be the reason for inviting me here?

Horikita: Well, I just think that I can have a comfortable discussion with you, am I wrong?

Matsushita: I guess so. Anyway, I think I saw that girl from one of the second year books.

Miyake: I think her name is Nanase Tsubasa. I asked Hiroshi earlier about it.

Ayanokoji: So she is one of the first years when we will be in second year. Wait, then what is she doing here in a time where we are in our first year?

Miyake: Ayanokoji, you seem to be thinking about something. You could tell us.

Ayanokoji: I am thinking how a first year student from one year in the future came to the past.

Niko: It is more accurate to say that she comes from a different world.

Niko went to the circle. She seems to have heard about the discussion.

Niko: I think it is time to tell you the truth about some anime world's existence, to clear up the confusion.

Sakayanagi: Fufufu, could I join in this discussion?

Following Sakayanagi near the circle is Kamuro and Hashimoto.

Hashimoto: I am also interested in this kind of stuff.

Kamuro: I am just here because of this loli.

Sakayanagi: Aren't you a bit rude, Masumi?

Niko: Sure. More people the better. But again, don't tell this to anyone outside of the group of people.

The newly arrived students took some chairs and sat near the circle.

Niko: Some anime worlds have no past or future.

Horikita: Eh? What does that mean?

Niko: The anime only adapted Volumes 1 - 3. Meaning to say, there is nothing further than that. It is a blank slate. Also the past since there are no explanations on what happened in the past.

Kushida: Wait, but what about our memories of the past? I still remember what I did in middle school.

Niko: That's it. It is only memories. It is fed to you from the light novel but you never experienced it since it was never animated. The point is anything that is not animated, it never existed.