Chapter I - The Journey to Avalon Part I

There was a strange silence. After the clanging of swords and knights' screams it could only be heard a crackling sound from a fire. Little sparks were dancing in Merlin's eyes, and worried he was looking in the distance. He heard murmur behind his back and hurried to the place where king Arthur was lying. Mumbling, Arthur started to wake up. He opened his eyes and the first thing he saw was the face of his servant.

"Merlin? Where have you been?" he asked, confused a little bit.

"Nice to see you too, sire," Merlin managed a slight smile. "How are you feeling?"

"Could be worse," Arthur tried to laugh but the pain in his chest got in the way. "My side...," he groaned.

"Easy," Merlin whispered and placed his hand on the king's hand as he grasped his arm.

"It was Mordred..."

"I know," Merlin gave him a sad look; "and I couldn't save you."

"I'm here, Merlin, still alive," Arthur said slowly, catching a shakily breath between words. "Where are we?"

"I needed to take you to a safe place to stay for the night. The woods seemed like this. I hope it'll give us time to rest and Morgana won't find us," he looked at Arthur's bleeding wound. "I'm sorry," he started with tears in his eyes. "I thought I was in time. I thought I'd defied the prophecy..."

"What are you talking about?" Arthur frowned.

"I defeated the Saxons, and the dragon, though I knew it was Mordred that I must stop," tears were running down Merlin's cheeks.

"Merlin," Arthur got closer to his face; "there was a sorcerer, he defeated the Saxons," a slight smile appeared on his face.

"It was me," Merlin said, sniffling.

Arthur was looking at him, smiling in disbelief. It was ridiculous to him. But Merlin was still crying and the expression on Arthur's face changed to confusion. "Wait, what... this is gibberish, what do you mean saying that?"

"I'm... I'm a sorcerer," said Merlin with a trembling voice. "I have magic," he sobbed; "and I use it for you, Arthur, only for you."

A shock just painted on Arthur's face but after a moment he started shaking his head. "No, Merlin. You are not a sorcerer, I would've known," he shook Merlin's arm slightly.

"Look... here," Merlin nodded and held out his hand towards the fire and said: "Upastige draca," His eyes flashed gold and in the middle of the flames appeared a flying dragon. As soon as it disappeared Merlin turned back to Arthur afraid what his reaction would be.

Arthur was looking with shock at the place where the figure of the dragon was visible a moment ago. He looked up at Merlin's face, but as soon as their eyes met, he turned his head trying to move away from him. He didn't have enough strength though, so he was still avoiding Merlin's gaze.

"Arthur?" said Merlin. He saw that except for shock it was fear in Arthur's eyes. "Arthur..."

"Leave me."

Merlin's heart sank. "What...?" He had known that the king's reaction might be like that but for all this time and until now he believed it could be different, that Arthur would understand and accept him the way he is. "Arthur, please..."