Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Play

The play signalized the first of a two-day celebration of the school's High School Day. I don't know why they called it Day when it was in days. Booths and games were all propped up, ready to open after the play. Students were required to attend but I still hope they genuinely enjoy watching. Parents present, on the other hand, were mostly from the crew and cast trying to support the production their child was involved in.

The auditorium was almost full as people strutted in, taking seats beside friends. Mom and Dad were at the front rows chatting with Triss' mom and Liam's parents. Liam and Abby sat behind them. I peaked from the sidelines of the stage, just watching everyone chat along as they waited for the play to start.

When Liam caught me there, I waved at him before disappearing into the backstage. I already wore the dress and wig and only needed a few touches for the make-up.

I took a deep breathe as I tried hard not to think about how I could forget my line or trip out of nowhere. I've had enough embarrassments to last a lifetime. Acting and drama was something I always enjoyed doing. It was fun giving life to a character, stressing some emotions to a line. It gave me a sense of freedom. To forget who I was and live a different life for a moment. It was kind of the same with reading but acting meant I actually got to live it.

Not that I haven't enacted scenes from my favorite books.

I lifted the hems of my dress and sat beside Triss who was going over her line. She wore a simple white floral dress, her hairs straightened behind her back. I tuned my mind to her voice, otherwise I'd give myself more reason to be nervous.

I already felt it with the way my palms sweated, the way my legs felt like noodles and the way I become too aware of how I'm breathing. "Relax, April. Just act like it was another rehearsal," I gave myself a pep-talk. Triss was just as nervous, we couldn't talk, our mind was too preoccupied.

Except this time, you can't mess up.

I shook my head to get rid of those thoughts. I've done this before, acted a role in a play before. But I knew this time it was different. I've never starred in one before, I mostly took minor roles.

I roamed my eyes around to observe people instead as I refrained myself from licking my lips so I wouldn't smudge my lipstick. All the cast were sitting, going over their lines or just meditating. The assigned managers walked around, double-checking every little thing.

On the other side of the room, I watched Grey talk to one of the actors. Blood rushed to my cheeks as i thought about how everyone will watch us kiss. During rehearsals, Ms. Wilde limited the scene because, and I quote, 'We don't want to lose the spark of a first kiss.' . I was grateful for that. I don't think I could've survived with kissing Grey everyday and still keep my feelings a secret. 

Kira strutted across the room and stopped in front of Triss. "You're up in ten minutes," she informed her before turning to me. "And you appear shortly after, along with Diana." I nodded, I already knew that and she as just reminding us. Kira beamed. "Okay, good luck, everyone! You'll all be amazing out there."

I sure do hope so. I scrunched my nose.

"Hello to my third most favorite ladies in the entire world!" Luke greeted us, appearing from behind Kira.

"Who's the first?" I asked.

"How'd you get in?" Kira frowned at him.

"My mom," he answered me before turning to Kira. "I twisted this little thing called door knob and walked through the door–"

"The same door that said 'Crews and Casts Only'?" Kira cut him off.

"It said that?" Luke pretended to look thoughtful before shrugging. "I didn't see it, my bad."