Chapter Twenty-Two: Wildfire

A resounding slap met Grey's cheek and I heard some people curse in shock while several students gasped, including me. "You bastard," Triss spat. "You don't know what you just did."

Grey, who still looked startled quickly grew into a state of anger and confusion. His buddies were mouth-hanged, Luke looked like he wanted to do something but didn't know what. "What the hell are you talking about?" Grey stood up and we all followed the movement.

The whole cafeteria suddenly grew into a defeaning silence, everyone was tuned into what was happening. They were curious. Why would sweet, friendly Triss, out of nowhere, slap the school's football star? "You're a fucking jerk, you know that?"

I decided it was time I butted in. "Come on, Triss." I touched her arm and all eyes turned to me. I gulped. I don't know what I look like but I must be a real mess if everyone was looking me up and down. My eyes felt puffy and me cheeks were stained with tears.

"Oh," Grey said like it just dawned on him, also confirming his actions. "That," he added.

Triss narrowed her eyes so I grabbed her by the wrist. "How could you do that, you sick psycho?" Triss questioned like he was the most disgusting creature in the planet. Right now, to her, he probably is. Grey raised an eyebrow at that like was no big deal. I'm sure he felt like that and there were things he most likely didn't know but Triss, Triss thinks it couldn't be ignored. "How could you lock someone up in a dark room and leave them alone with no help?!" Triss practically screamed and I looked down at my feet. She was fuming, I've never seen this angry before. I've seen her upset before but not to this extent.

Students raised their brows at what she said whil Grey gave an incredulous laugh. "What are you so mad about? That was nothing compared to the stunt she pulled! It's not like the dark would swallow her or something!"

Triss was speechless and so was I. Everyone waited for us to say something. All heads, however, turned to a girl when she cussed loudly. "Shit, bro. You did not." It was a senior who immediately gave a wince and offered me a sorry smile when she noticed the attention she attracted.

My eyes widened. Does she know? It's not exactly a secret but it is still a surprise. A second later, after that outburst, students were talking again. They asked questions to no one in particular, told their speculations to their friends and some turned to the girl to ask why and if she knew something. It looked the girl knew that it wasn't her place to tell but it only takes one friend before everyone knows about it too.

This is bad.

When I glanced at Triss there was an unreadable look at her face but I am her best friend so it wasn't hard to figure out what it meant. She must be thinking that that was exactly how I felt in that closet. She's not wrong . . . I thought and I felt like crying again. A whimper came out of my mouth as I tried not to think about where I was just minutes ago. "Triss . . ." I begged and everyone was looking curiously at me while maintaining the chatter within their group. "Let's go? Please?"

"You have no idea," Triss spat at Grey with so much venom before she let herself be dragged away by me. Students were watching as we walk away from the scene with a thoughtful expression. Right before we turned around, I saw Grey looking lost to what just happened. It was like he was wondering just how much damage he has done and how it could've been so.

Once we were far away, we halted in the middle of the hallway. A few students littered around and I noticed that they were glancing at us. Suddenly, a very out of the moment thing happened and my mouth opened to sing lowly, yes, sing. "Rumors . . . spread like wildfire . . ."

Triss snorted before turning to me and giving me a weird look. "Really, you are singing Sabrina Carpenter, right now?" 

I shrugged while Triss rolled her eyes. It felt like we still hadn't processed what just happened and this was us turning to silly things so we wouldn't have to deal with it yet. I don't even what to think about it. All everyone had to do was be curious enough, ask the right questions and bam, all is out in the open. Will everyone look at me the same way then?

"Shoot," Triss whispered. I took in her face and saw that she was about to freak out. Quickly before she could, I pulled her away and we ditched school.

~•~

We went to the local ice cream shop and walked towards the park. Clouds covered the sky and the yellow sun hid behind it. Some adults were giving us disapproving looks when they passed us by as we were still in our uniforms. We ignored and quietly sat ourselves on a bench when we reached the place.

I licked on my ice cream, watching passer-bys and children playing who were too young to be in school. I watched as their mothers, or babysitters talked with each other, glancing every now and then at the energetic kids. "Look, April, I'm really sorry-"

I blew through my mouth. "Cut it out, Triss. It's the hundredth time you've said sorry," I replied casually and licked the ice cream on my cone. It's vanilla flavored, my favorite. Triss got a strawberry on a cup. She doesn't like cones. We had a long debate about that one which in the end, we decided to agree to disagree.

"And I'll say it again, I'm sorry. I don't know what got into me-"

"Yeah . . . " I interrupted her. "It was like someone possessed you." I fake shivered.

She punched me lightly on the shoulder. "Seriously, April. I didn't mean to make everyone peer into your business. I was just . . . so mad." She explained.

"I know," I said softly.

"What he did– I couldn't believe it. He didn't about it so I guess he wasn't much to – holy nuggets, I slapped the school's football star!" Triss shook me by the shoulders, wild look in her eyes, just when I was trying to eat the cone. I deadpanned at her when the cold, ice cream smudged my nose.

She stared at me for a second before laughing. I don't know if it was because of my mouth-hanging, ice-cream smudged face or the fact that she only realized now that she, for the first time, hurt someone physically and meant it. 

She kept apologizing a while ago, saying everyone probably knows about what happened now. I don't doubt that but she was just being a best friend. Sometimes, best friends don't really think what they're doing but they were just reacting on your behalf because they care for you. 

Triss and I stayed their for a while, enjoying a little bit of peace. After an hour, we got bored and she drove me home. She wanted to stay but I said I needed to be alone. She insisted but I gave her a look and she yielded.

I opened the door and saw Mom and Parker waiting at the couch. They all turned around at the sound of the door opening, Mom quickly jumping on her feet to hug me. "Okay," I muffled through the tight embrace. "What's going on?"

"Oh, sweetie. Are you okay?" She placed her palms on my cheeks.

"Uh, yeah?" I answered unsurely.

"Your brother told me about what happened." I glared at Parker and he guiltily avoided it. I didn't want to worry our parents. 

"I'm fine, Mom. Don't worry."

She wrapped me in her arms again. "Oh, my poor baby girl," she cooed. Cooed.

'I'm going to kill you,' I mouthed at my brother.

'Sorry,' he mouthed back and I sighed, deciding to let it go. He was just probably worried about it.

Gosh, rumors do spread like wildfire.

~•~

Author's Note:

Another meh of a chapter.

Please vote, comment and share if you think otherwise?