Chapter Eight: Haircut

I was about to head to the door when it opened and revealed my brother. He looked like he just showered with his dripping blonde hair and fresh clothes. A duffel bag hang around from one of his shoulders. He must have gotten from football practice. "Sis, what happened to your-" 

"Don't."

"-hair," he continued. "It looks like someone-"

"Stop," I warned with narrowed eyes, holding the scissors in front threateningly.

"-murdered it," he completed. "The left side's longer than the other," he pointed to his own shoulders with his forefinger while I rolled my eyes at him. I dropped my hand.

"Yeah, I'm aware. Now, shoo. I need to get to work," I said and put my wallet in the pocket of my jeans.

"Are you really going out with that?" I raised an eyebrow at his question.

"I don't have eyes at the back of my head, I won't be able to trim it right unless someone else does it for me," I answered because honestly, I tried. I spent minutes moving around in front of the mirror, always cutting it shorter when I see that it wasn't straight. Finally, I figured I should stop before I make any more damage. Besides, I was about to get late. I worked at the cafe during wednesdays and thursdays, it was also the only weekdays Mom doesn't come home for dinner because we both have it at the cafe while Parker and dad spend some guy time or whatever and most likely gonna order pizza for dinner.

"Well," Parker dropped his duffel at the couch and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. I looked up at him wondering what he was up to. "Good thing you have your sporty, amazing and handsome younger brother to help with your-" he flipped his hair while I looked at him like he was crazy. "- hair problem," he finished with a grin.

"Oh, yeah? When's this younger brother comin' home?"

He stepped back looking dramatically offended. "Hey, this looks got the ladies comin' around."

I laughed. "Yeah, yeah. I'm your sister, it's my job to make sure you're ego doesn't grow too big," I said in a matter-of-fact tone and gave him the scissors I was still holding. "Now cut my hair right, ugly brother."

Grumpily taking the scissors, he did as he was told. "Ugly sister," he mumbled while I just stick my tongue out to him. He did the same.

~•~

I kept getting glances from anyone who noticed my hair as I traipsed down the school hallway to my locker. When I saw it in the mirror this morning, I swear it didn't look too bad. 

Maybe they're just too used to it being long? I mean, I had it that way since elementary. 

"Hey, nice haircut, April," one of the nice girls in the school complimented, lifting my spirits.

"Thanks," I said with a smile before she walked away with a nod. Well, I certainly didn't anticipate that kind of reaction. Yesterday when Mom and Dad saw it, they gasped in surprise. Yes, gasped. They both knew bow much I adored my hair so when I said I just wanted a new look, they hardly believed me. So far, Parker's the only person who knows the real reason.

He wasn't oblivious to my little feud with Grey and totally supports my revenge, but he really couldn't do much about it. He can't exactly disrespect the captain of his team and besides, he knows I got it.

I slammed my locker shut and that's when I saw Grey leaning to the one beside mine. "Nice haircut," he said sarcastically. Still looking gorgeous with his well-built body and sharp features.

"Thanks," I smiled widely. I won't let him get to me. "Everyone says I look good with it," I added.

Ha! I bet you regret ever putting gums in my hair now.

He frowned but didn't say anything to disagree with. He just stared at my face before he stood straight. 

I raised a brow. "Well, aren't you gonna say something offensive about it?" I'm honestly confused.

"I don't have to," he retorted before walking away, hands inside the pocket of his black pants. Aww, he's so sweet. Now there's the Grey I know.

"By the way, I'm gonna get back at you for this!" Although I can't deny that the results weren't too bad, I'm still pissed that it wasn't by choice.

Antsy Pantsy here I come. 

~•~

I sat alone pathetically at lunch. Triss was absent and called sick so I ate my lunch almost lethargically as I watched the students around me buzz around. It was until my gaze dropped to Grey who was helping out a nerd pick her fallen books from the floor.

Honestly, who brings books in the cafeteria? 

Don't get me wrong though, Elisa was one of the people I would love to get to know but I don't always see her around, I guess. I was too caught up in my life to even try befriending her.  

Grey handed two books and smiled at her while Elisa gave a thanks before walking away.

He is such mystery . . .

I almost laughed out loud at the thought so I snorted instead. No, not really. Grey was nice to everyone else except me - just like how I'm nice to everyone except him. He's even nice at Triss, my best friend who helped me pull those pranks on him. It's just me he hates and I can't blame him, I hate him too. During the eighth grade, Grey was a bit of a jerk and one of his low moves was letting Ryan and the whole school know I have a crush on him. However, it seems like through out the years of our little feud of besting each other, I see that he has improved - character development, I'd say. Just not towards me though.

I averted my gaze from the boy who walked towards the table of his football buddies. Unlike stereotypes, as I know you know, jocks aren't that bad. Sure they could be too confident at times, too aware of the girls bribing for their attention but they are actually decent persons. They have manners even if some of them - not, all - don't exactly follow some of the minor school rules. Besides that, they're cool - even if they don't know you exist.

I brought out my phone so I wouldn't look too pitiful but when I got bored at it too, I raised my head and saw Grey staring at me. I raised a brow in question but he just raised his in return.

I frowned before narrowing my eyes at him suspiciously. He was the one staring, is he planning anything? 'Cause I haven't done anything for the last two pranks he pulled. He don't just mess with my hair and get away with it. It made things even more personal.

He rolled his eyes before getting back to his friend. I have seriously never seen a boy roll their eyes and still have their masculinity in check. How does he do that? 

He's so perfect I want to punch his face just to create a flaw. I harrumphed to myself and gave me a promise to go with my plan today. Even without Triss but it's probably for the best because if everything goes down - she will not be dragged down with me to the consequences.

I told her about it through text but I am yet to receive for a reply. So, I'll just wing it by myself.

~°~

Author's Note:

A not-so-fun fact: I cringed reading this. >.<

I wrote the first eleven chapters last year, at that time I have NO idea how I want the story to progress so they might seem like a filler chapter. It builds up right where I want it though, so it's . . . okay, I guess.

It's saturday morning here in my country right now. How about yours?

Don't forget to vote and comment!