Chapter Nineteen: France

G R E Y

"Grey," she whispered shakily and I looked down on her. A strand of her blonde hair was dangling in front of her face but I resisted the urge to move it. She's my enemy, I convinced myself. Then why do I always find myself admiring her subtle beauty? Why do I appreciate her cheeky personality? Why do I commend the way she carries herself? "I'm scared," she continued.

The need to comfort her was strong. But I couldn't do that. Enemies don't comfort each other. "Scared of a little dark, Ape?" I teased instead. We were back at the janitor closet and I don't remember how we got here. We were just . . . there.

April didn't answer. She seemed genuinely scared I wished I could tell her that everything was fine. That her monsters can't reach her with me by her side. 

It wasn't always like this. Back in ninth grade, I used to . . . kinda like her. Sometimes I question myself if I still do but then I found out she liked someone else. I didn't take rejections that well before. Even though I never really told anyone about it and I was never really rejected, it felt like a big blow to me. I did things that led us here.

"Jerk," I heard her mutter so I glared down at her. The height difference was obvious yet it didn't bother her. I saw her glaring up at me and I was taken aback by the ferocity behind it. Most of the time it was an expression of mere annoyance that greatly delights me but this time, there was something in it that made me want to beg for forgiveness.

In instinct, I apologized, "I- I'm sorry."

A different look took over her face. "If you're sorry, then do something about it." She smirked and I find myself asking how. I want her to like me and I want her to forgive me.

"Kiss me," she answered. My eyes widened in shock but I didn't complain. I leaned down to fulfill just what she wished. Our faces were mere inches apart and her lips taunted me. Just like it always does. I glanced up and I saw that her eyes were closed. I gulped. This is really happening . . .

Then I woke up.

"What the actual fuck?" I mumbled to myself as I stared at the ceiling. Did I just dream about . . .?

I removed the sheets on top of me and sat. I took my phone to see what time is it and saw that I had an hour before my first period. I sighed.

That dream bothered me so much. Isn't it enough that she takes over my mind most of the time and she's even invading my dreams now? That woman infuriates me so much! I can't seem to get her out of my head. I hate it. 

I replayed the dream over my head and her reaction of the dark made me think. I pondered over it. Seems like someone is afraid of a little something.

Shaking my head, I decided to forget about that dream entirely and took a shower.

I examined my left ankle. It was getting better though I'm still not allowed to be in football practice. But that was fine since I also have rehearsals for the play. I feel better about it now though I sometimes feel annoyed that I couldn't play at the game because of it.

The ants didn't get me. I'm not fucking blind. The pants were knee-high on me when I saw it. In my panic, I hastily removed it and somehow twisted my left ankle in the process. I had to call Luke to bring me to the hospital because I couldn't stand. He found me in my briefs sitting on the floor clutching at my foot.

He found it totally comical, he laughed really hard at it so after he managed to help me fit into some pants with much difficulty, a smack in the head was called for. The doctors bandaged my foot and I wasn't allowed to walk for two weeks. They told me it wasn't that serious and it'll heal with time but I say being bed-ridden for two week was very serious. I missed practices and I got benched at a football game. I can't just let go of that. I went to the game, hoping I could convince coach but alas, it didn't work.