Chapter Thirteen

Kristina's POV

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

"Which movie?" My father asks later that night. We had gone back to my fathers house and decided to watch a movie together.

"Hmm. Do you have Grown ups?" He frowns, staring down at the two DVDs in his hands.

"Uh, no." At my solemn expression he quickly jumps up. "But I'm sure we can get a copy." He adds hastily. His eyes glaze over, and I realise that he is most likely mind linking someone. His eyes return to normal a few seconds later. "Ten minutes."

I beam. "In the mean time," I say, a plan forming in my mind. "Let's make a fort!"

He blinks at me. "A fort?"

By this point I'm already pulling apart his couch. "Yeah! I used to make them all them as a kid. Everyone did!"

He frowns, watching as I chuck parts of his furniture into the ground by his feet. "I didn't."

I whirl and gape at him. "Well! Now we have to make the biggest, bestest fort in the whole universe!"

"Bestest?"

"Yes!" I yell, diving over the back of the couch and barreling towards the stairs. "Now hurry up and gab as many blankets and pillows as you can! And maybe some duct tape."

"Alright!" He yells after me, caution in his tone.

For the next I fifteen minutes I pull apart every couch I lay eyes on before chucking the stray parts down the stairs where a growing pile of furniture lies. My father calmly walks past me while I barrel down the halls, laughing like a hyena.

"Did you get the tape?" I ask breathlessly as I meet my father at the top of the stairs. The floor below couldn't even be seen as there was too much stuff in the way.

My father holds up four rolls of tape and I beam. "Now prepare to make the best fort in the world."

My father nods, his face not even flushed from all the work we had been doing. "What do we do?"

"First we need to make the base room. Then we use the blankets as roofs and maybe some walls. Use the tape to stick them to the actual walls to make it easier. The whole lower floor needs to be transformed into our fort, okay?"

"Okay."

And together we set to work, building the best fort in the world.

By the time it was finished it was dark out and the DVD had been delivered. The fort started at the bottom of the stairs - that part being a tunnel leading to the base room - then ran into the living room where the base was and then into the dining room, then the kitchen and then in the bathroom and then into the hall again, joining back up at the start.

My father and I were in the base room, the tv lighting up the large dark space. Pillows were strew all around us and the roof was set deliberately high above our heads due to my fathers hight.

"This is the best fort in the universe!" I exclaim as I flop down on my back, the impact cushioned by the mound of pillows strew along the carpeted ground.

My father laughs, clicking play on the movie. "That it is. Just hope that no one opens the front door and breaks it."

I frown. "That would suck."

My father lays back beside me, his back propped up by a stack of pillows and couch parts. I shift, curling into a ball with my head in his lap, facing the tv. The movement came so fluently and comfortably that I hadn't realised what I'd done until after I'd done it and strangely enough, I didn't regret it or worry if I'd ruined everything.