Chapter 29: Sparkly and Shiny?

I walk down the hall with purpose probably looking pretty badass in my tight black skinny jeans and maroon V-neck t-shirt. Servants eye me as I walk into the main hall, just outside the throne room where people are still being cleared out. From what Wilfred has told me, Chloe is furious and that’s just another person to add to the list of people who hate Knox, idiot.

Think of the devil and he shall appear “Nothing!”

I look over Knox who came from on opposite hall, joining me on my way to the stables “You mean the guy you publicly arrested had no reason to be arrested?” I asked, faking a shocked look, I even went as far to cover my mouth and gasp.

“Ha-ha Lilly very funny, he needed to get in trouble any way for skipping out on the mine interrogation, besides when I said nothing it just meant he said nothing, doesn’t mean I got nothing.”

Wait what? I throw my arm out in front Knox and stop walking, he’s taken by surprise but quickly collects himself and smirks at me “I found something in the guys jacket, something that could have been a huge threat to your sister.”

“And that was?”

Knox reaches into the inside of his jacket pocket and takes out a small glass bottle, the sparkling blue liquid inside contained by a cork at the top. No words or symbols coated the outside of the glass so there was no way from me to determine what exactly it was while it was held in Knox’s hand. So the obvious thing would be to take it out of his hand and examine it further but when I try to do that Knox pulls it back and stuffs it back into his pocket. I cross my arms over my chest and glare at him but Knox doesn’t waste time under my eyes and continues on walking, if I wasn’t so curious I would turn around right now and forget about our plans but I am and now I have to follow behind him like a puppy.

“Highly toxic, one touch and you're dead, I think the dwarfs plan was to throw it at your sister, it would happen so fast the guards wouldn’t be able to do anything for your sister. They could have killed him afterwards of course but that’s exactly what he expected, carrying around something like this, it’s a suicide mission.”

I gulp at the sound of that, just an hour or so and who knows what would have happened to Chloe… Well besides Knox. I re-compose myself and continue to silently follow behind Knox thinking of what to say.

“What makes you such an expert?” I ask hoping that he isn’t a reliable source and threats against the crown aren’t as serious as this.

“The elixir is from Wonderland.”

Oh, then he’s a pretty reliable source. Knox suddenly stops and turns to look at me his eyes immediately softening when he sees my face. I look down at my feet trying to avoid the heat of his grey eyes. Suddenly soft fingers gently grip my chin and lift my face up “Lilly I got it, your sister is safe and tonight she will get her powers back at the island,” I’m still avoid his eyes but his other hand grabs my shoulders and gives me a light shake “Lilly everything will be fine, trust me,” When I finally meet his pleading eyes and give a slight nod.