Chapter 27: Her amusement

“That was amazing!” Chloe squeals for about the seventh time since we got upstairs to our bedroom.

I was currently crawling into my soft, cozy bed. My lovely green gown sat thrown upon a ragged mountain of miscellaneous junk around my side of the room. I listen to Chloe’s unrailed train of thought as I get comfortable under my soft Egyptian cotton duvet. For a moment I think about doing some reading through one of my many old spell books but of course who has time for that when Chloe is suddenly jumping onto my bed.

I sigh in aggravation and give my sister a pointed stare “Aren’t you supposed to be sleeping in a bed with your fiancé?”

“For the exact reason you just pointed out; Peter and I are not married we are only engaged,” She points out and then resumes jumping around making her dark brown hair swinging and flopping all over.

“Exactly you're engaged I think that enables you to sleep in the same room,” I state and lean across my bed to get a spell book anyway. Chloe can annoy me as much as she wants but when it comes to reading, there’s no stopping me.

“Not exactly, us being engaged just means he has time to change his mind.”

Is this girl for real? “Chloe, Peter Pan grew up for you and you would actually allow yourself to believe he would walk away? Who are you and what have you done to my carefree sister?” I quirk my eyebrow at her and she bluntly rolls her eyes.

“I’m the same person just with a different perspective. You need to remember I was ripped away from my loved ones, my conscious closed behind bars forced to watch life go on without my fiancé or my sisters only to finally be set free by a perky group of Neverland pixies that acted as though nothing happened!” Her rant heats up as it goes on. Stored up emotion seems to leak out with every passing word and I can’t help but flinch away.

“Chloe I-”

“Just forget about it, I… I really shouldn’t have said anything,” I listen to every stuttering word but when I opened my mouth to speak but she jumps at the chance for a change in subject “So what’s new with you?”

I think back to the last seventeen years and shrug. Us royals aren’t exactly an exciting bunch, next to nothing has changed since she left. With her disappearance came me and Lilly getting sucked into unhealthy habits. I would throw myself into my search for the Malum and my sister would drift further and further from reality, spending more time with creatures rather than our people.

Oh wait there is something that happened, very recently actually, “I met a boy…”

“All. Details. Now!” Chloe demands, a toothy smile returning to her face in an instant.