A Break In The Storm

Start from the beginning

"More than helping, I seem to be causing troubles," Aria joked, hoping to lift Elvin's somber tone.

A smirk made its way into his cheeks. "Indeed." But as soon as it was there, it disappeared, and a bitter frown took hold of his face. His long fingers wrapped themselves around her hand as he drew it from its cheek. Thunder seemed to strike in his grey eyes like he was reproaching himself for doing so. "I fear, though, that my motivations and judgment have become clouded."

"What do you mean?" Aria asked, heart beating against her chest. At times like this, she wished she could glimpse into Elvin's mind.

His hand rose, and he held her cheek against his large palm. "I think it's best if I keep my distance."

"Wh- why?" Aria wasn't quite sure why she was so shocked by his proclamation. Why it seemed to make her stomach turn on itself. Perhaps the way he had held her at night had left an impression. How he had soothed her to sleep by kissing her temple. "What if I have more nightmares?" She asked, thinking of something logical. Something less uncomfortable than the thought she wanted him here.

His face sullen, as if he knew what she was doing. A warrior is defeated with a single question. "If you need me, I will come at night."

Aria bit her tongue as he rose from the bed and turned his back. She elected to stay silent as the prince slit into his leather boots and exited her sleeping chambers.

He had been true to his words, and that night, she was awoken from the darkness of her own mind by that velvet voice as it pulled her into awakeness. But he wouldn't speak again. He just held her, staring into the distance. Then when she awoke in the morning, he was gone, only the indent on the bedsheets and a strand of silver hair as proof that he had been there.

Her hand lingered over the space next to her. It was still warm from his body. She ignored the inclination to linger in the warmth and rose from her bed. She was to return to her normal duties today. A sour taste pricked her tongue as she thought of moving through the day like nothing had happened. Like fear was not constantly creeping up her back at every second.

The door opened to reveal the beautiful yet sour blonde elf. Her scold was as wide as ever.

"Where is Nessa?" Aria asked, curious if the night-haired tormentor was ashamed to face her.

"It's none of your business," Estel growled out as she stepped to the side.

Aria wanted to bite the blonde's head off, but the dark eye-bags under her baby-blue eyes told her she had a rough night as well. As they made their usual walk through the castle, Aria couldn't help but notice the increase in security. Far more soldiers, clad in golden plates and light green, were stuffed at every crevice of the stone palace.

"Aria!" Lia screamed as she ran down the hill that led to the High Shveera's hut. Her thin legs struggled to keep up with the incline of the cliff. Yet, she gave a toothy smile as her curls bounced with every rushed step.

Aria dropped to her knees with arms opened wide in welcome. The wind was knocked out of her when Lia crashed full force into her embrace. Her small arms wrapped tightly around Aria's neck, making her heart swell. "I am so happy you come back," Lia whispered into Aria's neck.

Aria did not dwell in that statement's ambiguity and instead just patted her dark curls. "It's good to see you are running around full of energy now."

Lia stepped back and twirled in her yellow dress, boastfully showing off her strength. "I am all better now!" She beamed. "Look, it is the dress from the shop. Mama got it for me!"

"You look splendid," Aria smiled at Lia. She was just happy to see the little girl was well.

The smile dropped from Lia, and her head leaned down as she became timid. Her feet slide back on forward on the ground. "I'm sworry... for what I said..."