Pathway: Feedback

Below you will find all the tasks of the reading pathway, divided by level of difficulty.

How does giving and receiving feedback help you with your writing? Receiving feedback might be obvious; someone tells you exactly what goes wrong in your story and (hopefully) how you can improve it.

But giving feedback can also help you, for several reasons. Firstly, evaluating someone else's work can help you understand your own writing habits. It also helps with getting specific and gets you thinking about why something doesn't work so well in a story. And lastly, it can also help you be more objective about your own writing.

For those who aren't sure where to find a reviewer on Wattpad, try typing in "Review Book" into the search bar and you should find a bunch. Many community profiles have a review book too. Have a quick read through them to find out if the feedback they give is the kind of feedback you're looking for (for example, are they giving useful feedback in their reviews, are they sugarcoating to a degree you're happy with).

Very easy – 1 XP:

- Join a book club

- Ask a reviewer to review your story

- Find a read-for-read partner

Easy – 2 XP:

- Finish a book club assignment

- Enter your story into a contest and ask for your scores afterwards

- Check out someone's review book to see how reviews are done

- Be an editor for one chapter of someone's book

- Join (or set up) a writing group

- Complete any task for you writing group

- Analyze and review a poem

Medium – 5 XP:

- Implement the feedback you got from the reviewer into your story (even if you don't agree with everything; make a copy of your work in that case to implement everything and just try it out. Perhaps it turns out better than you expected)

- Implement the feedback you got from a book club partner into your story

- Choose a random story (novella or novel) and comment on the following aspects with at least two sentences each (you do not need to send it to the author if you don't want to): Characterization, plot development, world building, pacing, writing mechanics (grammar and spelling), writing style, descriptions.

- Be a judge in a contest

- Analyze and review a screenplay

Hard – 10 XP:

- Have your book be read completely by a read for read partner (and, of course, read for them too)

- Write a full review on someone else's story (tip: if you're going to do this more often, why not start a reviewing book?)

- Be a beta reader for someone (this includes reading the book in full)

Legendary – 50 XP:

- Be an editor for someone's entire novel

Note: We are open to adding new tasks. Let us know if you come up with any and we might just add them to the list.