How This Works

This is not a quick game. You can play it for as long or as short as you like. The aim here is to give you an incentive to write and to give you a visual overview of where you stand in your writing journey. To visualise your progress.

We do this through a levelling system. During this game you will complete tasks, all to do with creative writing and mostly achievable on Wattpad. Each of these tasks will give you experience points, commonly referred to as XP. Easier tasks will give less XP than harder, longer tasks. Once you've gained enough XP, you will level up. We have created sashes to use on your profile, so that you can show off your Author Level to your fellow Wattpadders.

Becoming an expert requires practice. Practice means doing things over and over again. That is why we have implemented achievements. Achievements is where you get the real practice in, because they are earned for completing special (extra tricky) tasks or completing tasks a certain number of times.

Achievements also earn you points; these are called Achievement Points (AP). Gaining enough AP lets you rank up. Ranks go from Hobbyist through ten different ranks all the way to Expert Author. The rank of Expert Author isn't achieved easily though; remember the 10.000 hours? We give away milestone stickers for certain numbers of AP, and a cool profile banner for each new rank.

In short: Experience points help you level up, while achievement points help you rank up. For more information on this, visit the Experience And Levels chapter and the Achievements and Ranks chapters.

Since there's no way of doing this automatically, you will have to keep track of your tasks yourself. However, we have made this easier for you. Check out our Keeping Track chapter to learn more about how to keep track of your points, levels and ranks.

The tasks you can complete are divided into Pathways. There are four Pathways:
- Just Write: The tasks in this Pathway are all about getting you writing.
- Reading: These tasks will get you reading, with a focus on developing your writing through learning from others' stories.
- Feedback: These tasks focus on giving and receiving feedback.
- Learning: These tasks are all about finding information on how to write and different aspects of writing.

You can do these tasks in any order and switch around between Pathways to your liking. We recommend doing tasks from each Pathway to gain the most knowledge and experience. We also recommend starting with easy tasks and building up to harder tasks over time.

We would love for some community involvement with this project. Check out the chapters Find A Competition Partner and Find A Writing Group to learn how you, as players, can get involved with one another. Also, you can post all your creations and completed tasks in the Player Creations chapter if you want. We will read everything that is posted there (for as long as that is doable for us).

FAQ

I have been writing for years. Will I still have to start at level 1?

In order to not complicate things too much, yes, everyone starts at level 1. However, check out our next question as well.

Some of the tasks require me to write stories. I already have stories on my Wattpad profile. Do those count?

Yes, you are allowed to count those. If you want. You could also just start at level 1 and go through the entire journey. It is pretty fun, after all.

How about the task of reading books; I've done that a lot in my life. Can I count that too?

No, those do not count. You have to start over from scratch with the reading pathway. This is because most, if not all, of the reading you've done so far has been for pleasure. The tasks here are meant to get you deliberate practice.

Can I repeat tasks?

Yes, absolutely! In fact, you're supposed to repeat them. Repeating them means you're practicing and that's the goal of this game.

Do I have to complete all of the tasks in all four Pathway chapters?

You can of you like, but you definitely don't have to. It has to stay fun for you. Choose the tasks you'll enjoy. However, we would recommend doing some tasks in all the different Pathways and stepping out of your comfort zone a little when choosing tasks. You learn more when you step out of your comfort zone.

Can I repeat achievements?

No. Unlike tasks, achievements cannot be repeated. You can only gain the AP for every achievement once.

I have an idea for a new task. Can I send it to you?

Yes, please! This game is currently in beta, meaning we're still putting the finishing touches on it. If you have ideas to help it grow, please don't hesitate to message us.