Introduction

Are you serious about becoming an expert writer?

Malcolm Gladwell says becoming an expert at something requires putting 10.000 hours of practice into it.

Are you still serious about becoming an expert writer? Then you're in the right place.

This project is based on the concept "gamify learning", which means turning learning into a game. In Level Up Your Writing you can complete tasks to earn experience points, achievements and level up. This gives you a visual overview of how far you've come in your writing journey. All tasks are aimed at developing your writing skills.

Level Up Your Writing is designed as a game. It follows basic RPG game systems. You can earn experience, level up, gain achievements and reach different ranks. If this doesn't mean much to you, don't worry, everything will be explained in the upcoming chapters.

Okay, that thing about 10.000 hours can be put into perspective a little. This myth has been debunked several times, for example in this interesting article: (see comments -->) 

Still, Gladwell makes a good point. Becoming an expert takes practice. Lots and lots of practice. And that's exactly what Level Up Your Writing aims to help you with.

One of the points the writer of the above article elaborates on is that not all practice is the same. Deliberate or targeted practice is much better for developing your skills than just sitting there doing random things.

A good example is this: Reading is one of the most important things you have to do if you want to become a writer. But reading a story for pleasure is not the same as really paying attention to what you're reading, trying to figure out why the author wrote something in a certain way, or why a character behaves in a particular way. The latter is deliberate practice and by furthering your understanding, it will do much more in developing your writing skills.

One last thing: Level Up Your Writing is a game and therefore requires quite a bit of explanation. Please read through the chapters carefully. If you're stuck, don't hesitate to ask questions in the comments. We'll do our best to answer them quickly.

Note: The tasks in this book are not aimed at getting you lots of reads and followers and becoming big on Wattpad. They are aimed at improving your writing skills and helping you become a better writer.