Chapter 13: Fired

Cole

"Last night was a mistake. It meant absolutely nothing to me."

"Oh, I understand. What does that mean for my job? Will I still be able to work here?"

I cut my thoughts. I was trying to act out every way possible Jasmine would react. I never knew what her reaction would be. Would she yell? Cry? I had no idea. It wasn't any help, with one side of my brain thinking of nothing but her gorgeous body. It was all too much, and I was in way too deep. Which is why I needed to do this now.

Swallowing and sighing deeply, I turned the shower water off. I had gotten up earlier than her to try to prepare myself, but that didn't work.

''Alright, Cole, mean, cold and distant. Mean, cold and distant. Mean, cold and distant.'' I repeated and tried to remind myself.

Putting the towel around my waist and walking out of the bathroom. She started to move around as I threw my clothes on.

''Well, this certainly is an amazing way to wake up,'' she jokes as I sit on the bed.

Here goes nothing.

''Sit up.''

Jasmine looks at me, confused, but listens.

I don't look her in the eyes as I speak. ''Last night was a mistake.''

''What are you talking about?''

''Last night. What we did, it can never happen again.''

She sighed and sat up all the way. ''Ye...Yeah. Alright, that's fine. I understand you, a-"

''No. I don't think you understand, Jasmine.'' I tried to make my voice as cold as possible. ''You are fired. Last night was out of line and it should have never happened. It was a splurge of emotions, and I apologize for going that far. ''

She never stopped looking at me, and it pained me to see the hurt in her eyes as she spoke. ''So that's it? What...what about everything you said to me last night? How gorgeous I was, how you only wanted me. You kissed my stretch marks, for God's sake. Did that mean anything to you?''

''No,'' is all I said.

Silence filled the room and when I glanced at Jasmine, tears were forming on the side of her eyes. It pained me to know I was the one who brought them and took every bone in my body not to take her in my arms. But I quickly looked away when I noticed she was still staring at me.

''I'll be out in five,'' she said suddenly and searched for her clothes. She quickly threw them on and slammed my door, walking out.

Less than a minute later, she stormed back in with her suitcases and purse. ''Here are your keys,'' she said coldly, throwing them on my bed.

''Look, Jasmine. I-''

''Save it.'' Those were her last words before walking back out of my room, and seconds later, I heard the front door slam.

''Was it worth it, Cole?'' I asked myself, flopping back on the bed.

Just like that. She was gone. As quickly as she showed up, she was gone just as fast.

Despite the overwhelming feeling of guilt and sorrow, I knew it was the right thing to do. It was high school all over again. But this was way worse. Every day and every night, I have to think of Jasmine's face as I told her to leave.

I put my thoughts on pause, remembering Gracie was probably going to wake up. One thing I forgot to think about was my career. I hadn't planned how I was going to find a new nanny. Hell, I hadn't even thought about doing this until this morning.

''Where's Jasmine?'' Gracie asked sleepily when I walked into her room.

''Good morning to you too,'' I replied sarcastically.

''Daddy,'' she said, seriously. ''Where's Jasmine?''

I sighed deeply, ''You're not going to like this.''

Jasmine

Most people crave perfect hair and millions of dollars.

But I crave your arms around my waist, whispering, ''I love you'' into my ear as we lay there at 1 am.

The thought saddens me because I have a constant ache in my heart that craves for your love, but you couldn't care less.

I crunched potato chips as those lyrics played over. It was soothing. Eating month-old chips in the dark as music I never listened to played over and over; it was very relaxing.

As I lay on my sofa, about to grab another chip, someone began to bang on my door.

''Open up! I know you're in there, Jazz! You haven't answered my calls or messages all day.''

The day started 10 hours ago.

''Go away!'' I shouted, throwing a chip at the door.

'What the hell? I thought you were a strong independent woman?'' Tatum asked, opening the door and completely ignoring me. When she turned the lights on, I groaned and turned over.

''Yeah, well...strong independent women get sad too. So, I guess I'm not so strong right now.''

''Who did this?'' she asked angrily, sitting at my feet.

''I don't know. You and Ethan probably messed it up w-''

''No, dummy. Who made you all sad like this?''

''Me.'' I groaned.

''Spill it.''

''There's no right way to explain it, Tat. One minute I was happy, the next, I was here.'' I started and sat up. Her eyes were trained on me and ready for me to talk, and I knew I couldn't get out of this one. ''Last night was wonderful. I mean, he was calling me sweet names, kissing all of my body. He was amazing.''

I began reminiscing and smiling at the feelings I had only last night. How at peace I felt.

''Oh...okay? And that's good, right? Why are you here?''

Before I knew it, a tear fell and Tatum looked at me sincerely as if she finally realized something was wrong. ''He fired me and said it meant nothing to him. He didn't even bother to look me in the eye. Rude and standoffish.''

''That's it? What about sweet and? ki-''

''That's what I said. I don't know what happened. Was it me? Do you think I did something wrong?''

''Hell no! He's just a fucking jerk. Which is why we're going over there and kicking his ass,'' she ordered, and stood from the sofa.

''That's not necessary, Tat.''

''Yes, it is! He can't just fuck you and call it a day. It doesn't work like that, pal.'' She fumed and started walking to the door.

I loved Tatum with my whole heart and would do anything for her, but sometimes she needed to calm her anger. ''Yes. He's an asshole, but we weren't together. We weren't dating, and he was my boss. I understand why he did it. I just wish it didn't hurt as much.''

She still had nothing but anger on her face, ''Yeah, but you love him.''

I rolled my eyes. ''I don't love him.''

Right?