Chapter 8: Birthday

Jasmine

''I need monster high balloons!'' shouted Cole to the party men. We had exactly four hours to give Gracie the birthday party of her life. Thankfully, Cole's parents decided to pick her up for a while to give us some time.

My little girl's growing up.

I have been here for 4 months now and have been planning her party in my head for the past two weeks. Even though I was happy for Gracie, I was freaking out at the thought of seeing Cole's parents. I had never seen them before. I was unsure of the first impression I would make. I didn't know what to think of them; Cole never talked about them.

I've only seen him a handful of times after he met my friends. I thought things had gone well, but perhaps not. Still, avoiding me for that reason, or any other reason, seemed a little immature. What was even more immature was the fact that I couldn't help obsessing over it.

Choosing to stress me about it later, I slid on my shoes and went out to help the party planners bring in the stuff.

''That's not what he ordered,'' I stated as I lifted a flap of one of the boxes in the van, bewildered to find purple disney-themed balloons.

''Yes it is,'' they said, trying to brush me off.

''No. It's not. He ordered monster high balloons, not disney. There's a difference.''

''Ma'am, that is what he ordered,'' they said and took the box from me, walking into the house.

I rushed after them. ''Don't you dare bring those in there? I was right there when he ordered them. I know what she likes and I know Gracie would not want a disney-themed party over Monster High. So if you could kindly get those out of here and get the ones Mr. Archer ordered, that would be nice.'' I demanded, crossing my arms as Cole walked by. He was running his hands through his hair and had his phone on his shoulder, pressed to his ear. When he saw us, he started walking towards us.

''Everything alright? Got what I ordered, right? I don't have time for bullshit. I'm not paying you all this money to get the order wrong. When I look in those boxes, it's going to be what I ordered, right?''

At Cole's evident impatience, they blanch, shoulders slumping as they pick up the boxes once more. I crossed my arms, smirking as they walked past me, making sure not to look in my direction.

Smiling, I looked over at a frustrated Cole. I could tell he was stressed by the lines forming on his forehead and how he was constantly rubbing his head.

''I got it,'' I said, walking towards the stairs.

''Huh?''

''I got it. I'll take care of the party decorations. You have a lot of stressful things coming up and it's my job, anyway. I can do it. Give me two more hours, max!" I shouted and ran upstairs.

How hard could it be? I went shopping with her all the time. It was mostly for random things since the maid did all the grocery shopping. But I already knew what she liked.

Grey sweatpants? No, those make me look weird. Green mini dress? No, I'm not trying to go all out. Jeans and a t-shirt it is! Just as I was about to throw my clothes on and head out, Cole entered and stood in the doorway, covering his eyes.

''Jazz? Are you decent?''

Jazz? When did he start calling me that?

''Yeah. I was just about to change though, what's up?'' I heard him walk in, and soon he was standing at my bathroom entrance. ''Jazz?'' I asked jokingly.

He smiles while staring at me through the mirror. '' I heard everyone call you that. And I guess it started growing on me. I'll stop if you want.''