Chapter 10: For The Win

Cole

''You ready for the big game man?!'' Our star wide receiver shouted as he ran into the locker room.

''Yep''

Yeah, I was ready. Ready to fucking puke. This was my first game in the NFL. I would be surprised if I didn't throw up on the field. It was already bad enough my head wasn't in the right space.

''Nervous?'' asked Cooper, walking toward me as I put my helmet on.

''Little bit.''

''Try not to. You're phenomenal. And this is what you've been dreaming of since forever. Trust. Don't let anyone or anything get to you.''

Easier said than done.

''Thanks, Coop. I'm going to call Jazz and tell her to put the game on. For Gracie, of course.'' I took my phone out.

He smirks, ''Jazz?''

''Shut the hell up. It's out of habit, doesn't mean anything.''

''Right. And turning the game on is just for Gracie too?''

''Yeah. Why wouldn't it?''

''You sure you're not just trying to show off?''

Hell yes, I am.

''Nah, it's not even like that. She is a good nanny, nothing else. I just want Gracie to see my first game.''

Liar.

''Whatever you say, bro.''

He walks away and I fumble with my phone trying to find Jazz's number. It doesn't make it any better that the boys are making a ruckus. I could barely hear Jasmine as she answered.

''Hello?''

''Hey, Jasmine!''

''Oh, hey Cole! What's up? ''

''How's everything going?''

''Same ole, same ole. Gracie and I just finished watching Monster High for the tenth time this week.''

I chuckled, ''Yeah, that's Gracie. Since you just finished, could you turn the game on?''

''Sure. May I ask why?''

''It's my first official game today. Like the big leagues. It's going to be Live on National Television.''

I heard her gasp,'' Oh then in that case, I will definitely put it on. I'll be watching too.''

I didn't even have to ask.

''Great! Thanks, I gotta go. Thanks again, Jazz... I mean Jasmine, my bad.''

''Good Luck!'' she encouraged, hanging up.

''Welcome to the first game of the year! Please give a hand for the Baltimore and the Pittsburgh Steelers!''

Everyone began walking out of the locker room, and Coop slapped the back of my head before running out. Putting my phone in the locker and gloves on, I followed behind, but my dad stopped me. ''Do good. We didn't work this hard for you to blow it. My whole career is not going to be end because my dumb ass son doesn't know how to catch a football.''

I clench my jaw , feeling hurt and angry. My parents were never satisfied. ''I am one of the best players on this fucking team, dad. I know what I'm doing. I'm not going to blow it.''

''I highly doubt that.''

Jasmine

''Come on, daddy's about to start!'' Gracie called out, running out of my room.