Chapter 10: For The Win

Start from the beginning

When Cole called for her to watch the game, the little girl insisted we wear his jersey. I had assumed she was just talking about her, but once she was dressed, she walked into my room and threw a number fifteen jersey on the bed.

''Gracie, I can just wear my regular clothes. '' I replied and picked up the jersey curiously. When I smelt it, I could practically feel his presence. It smelt like aftershave and him. Which was a dangerous combination.

''No! It's good luck!'' she protested from downstairs.

''That's stealing Gracie. Your dad is my boss and I need to respect his privacy.''

''But-"

''Not another word,'' I ordered, walking downstairs. She was sitting on the couch, sulking, when I came down.

Gosh, why does she have to be so adorable?

''I'll tell you what, I will draw stripes on our cheeks and I will put on a jersey. But not your dad's. It's still his team, though. Is that good enough?'' she shot up from the couch and her expression immediately changed.

''Okay!''

''Good, I'll go get the markers and the jersey. Stay right here.''

I began running back towards the stairs, but she stopped me,

''Wait, why do you have daddy's-''

''Don't ask.'' I cut her off and ran upstairs. I quickly grabbed the markers and Jersey and soon we were ready to watch the game.

''There's daddy!'' Gracie said, pointing to the television as I brought the chips.

When I looked over at the screen, it was indeed Cole. He was blowing kisses to the crowd and running to the middle with everyone else. Even though he was trying to hide it, I could tell he was nervous.

''Do you think they're going to win?'' asked Gracie when I sat down.

''I don't know, sweetheart. The Ravens are a good team, but the Steelers are even better. I mean, the Ravens have some good guys. Ashton Anderson is a darn good running back. I don't know though, I guess we will see.''

~~~

(2 HOURS LATER)

''Come on, nobody was even there!'' I shouted, throwing a skittle at the TV.

''Why are you yelling?'' Gracie asked, rubbing her ear.

''Did you not just see what happened? He was so close to making a touchdown and he tripped. No one was there or anything. How do you trip when no one is even there?''

'''You do it.''

''No, I don't... this isn't about me,'' I said, sitting back down. Gracie smiled and continued to sort her skittles out by their colors.

Cole's team had thirty-four, and the Steelers were right behind at twenty-eight. There were only three minutes in the game and I was a nervous wreck. As I sat down, my knees began to bounce up and down and my heart started to race because The Steelers went up to thirty-four, just that quick.

''Good grief.'' I grunted, rubbing my temple in frustration.''Ugh, I could punch a wall right about now!'' I stood back up and walked to the kitchen.

I am becoming my dad.

''They have the ball?'' Gracie asked, standing up but not coming to me. Instead, she just watched the screen.

''Yeah.''

''Then why are you so mad?''

''It's an adult thing.''

''Or a crazy thing. But call it what you want.''

''You know what, just go to college already.''

''I think daddy has the ball!'' she shouted suddenly.

I rushed over and saw Cole had the ball. The clock was down to less than a minute, and Cole had the football in his hands. A quarterback was further down next to the end zone, and Cole was way further. There was no way he could throw far enough and if he did, the quarterback probably wouldn't catch it.

It felt as if time was in slow motion. I saw Cole's dad running on the side as everyone else ran towards the end zone. Cole lifted the ball up in the air.

''Come on, Cole!'' Gracie had come closer to me and began biting her nails as we both stood and watched the game.

He threw the ball, and I watched as it landed right in the running backs hand.

''Yay!'' shouted Gracie

Ten seconds on the clock.

His legs moved faster and faster from the ground and his hands gripped the ball as if it was his lifeline.

9... 8... 7... 6... 5...

''Go, Chris, go!'' his team members that are not playing yell as he continues to run. My heart is pounding and now I'm the one biting my fingernails.

TOUCHDOWN!

He throws the ball in the end zone just as the clock stops.

"Yes!'' Gracie and I rejoiced and began jumping up and down. I lifted her and swung her a little as she beamed down at me happily.

When I looked at the television Cole was in the camera and had a huge smile plastered on his face. It was a beautiful sight to see, and it made me smile even harder. His teammates all ran towards him and they all began celebrating.

''I knew they could do it,'' I say proudly and put Gracie down. She starts jumping on the couch,

''Daddy won! Oh, yeah, daddy won!'' she sang and danced happily in the kitchen.