chapter 22 - the realization

(TW: Suicidal Thoughts.) This chapter only has one scene that refers to suicidal thoughts, please either skip the bit if you're uncomfortable. Please seek help or talk to someone if you have these thoughts. My dms are open! I love you <3 

"My name is Esmeralda Bennett, Katerina's mother. Call me Esme." Katerina mother shook all their hands, smiling.

"This is Fred. Ginny. Hermione. Harry. Ron. And uh George." Katerina straightened her lips. Esme raised her eye brow as she shook George's hand.

"I've heard so much about you all. Great things. Thank you for welcoming my daughter here. It's been tough for my Katerina." Esme smiled widely.

"Mother, please." Katerina sighed. 

"Shhhh. You rest. Let me get to know your friends." Katerina sunk into the bed, knowing she'd be embarassed by the end of the night.

"You said Esme Bennett. As in the Auror?" Ginny's eyes beamed. Ginny unknowingly idolized Katerina's mother. "I've read so many of your books and catologs. Katerina, you never told me your mother was the famous Esmeralda Bennett. That means your father is.."

"Clark Bennett." Her mother answered for Ginny.

Everyone's face grew dark.

"You didn't know?" Esme looked around at their expressions. Esme looked at Katerina, who slowly covered her head with the blanket.

It was one thing to tell them her parents who famous Aurors, but to tell them her famous father is missing. How would that have benefit her.

"Well, I guess there's still plenty to learn about my daughter." Esme forced a smile.

"So, how long are you staying?" Fred broke the awkwardness.

"I dunno, I just came as soon as I heard of the accident. I'm currently looking into my husband's disappearance, so I will have to leave soon." Esme sat beside Katerina.

"After all these years?" Harry questioned.

"Could we please not talk about this right now?" Katerina sighed..

"She's a bit sensitive about the whole thing." Esme muttered, side eyeing Katerina. Katerina looked away.

"Don't you have some catching up to do with Dumbledore or something?" Katerina mumbled, her mother rolled her eyes. 

"I haven't seen you in what? Almost a year and you are already sending me away?" Esme shook her head, kissing Katerina's forehead. "I'll be back in a few to check on you." Esme walked out of the room, allowing Katerina's friends to speak.

"How come you didn't tell us!" Hermione furrowed her eyebrows.

"It's not like you ever asked." Katerina glanced at George, who sat awkwardly in the corner. 

"You still should've said something." Ron shoved his hands in his pockets.

"Maybe I should've, but I didn't." Katerina shrugged. Everyone looked at each other, noticing Katerina's tone. Katerina quickly noticed their expressions"I'm sorry." Katerina played with the thin blanket.